Mystery Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGFV

Reaction score
Like the title says, I seem to have come across a mystery Bottle that I am trying to decide on what to do with.

I've been brewing for a bit over a year now, and got my kit from a guy online who was getting out of the hobby, as he had bought a new home and hadn't had the time and money to brew in nearly 2 years by that point.
With the kit he also gave me what 500ml flip top bottles he had left, but seeing as I had already scored nearly 100 22oz bombers I haven't actually gotten around to using them.

So now I am currently packing up all of my brewing supplies along with everything else for an upcoming move and I happened to notice that one of the bottles from him happened to be full?!

Have no clue what is in it, or how old it is (guessing 2-4+ years).

I'm guessing since it is sealed and bottled it will be safe to drink, just not sure if anything pleasant tasting will come of this.

With any luck, it'll be the last remaining bottle of the Belgian Quad he brewed 2 years ago... but you'll never know until you pop the cap.

You're in luck! I just happen to be the founder of the "Mysterious Beer Research Institute" which was founded just a few minutes ago, right after I found-ed this thread. DO NOT OPEN that beer! Anything is liable to happen --- mainly that the MBRI misses out on a rare opportunity to open and test an unknown beer and consequently make the world a better place, of which the potential has never been greater than at this very moment. We (I) highly recommend you do the right thing for the MBRI (me) and mankind in general and carefully package the unopened beer and ship it C.O.D. (consumed-on-delivery) to us (me) ASAP (after sipping a pint). We (I) will "scientifically" analyze the contents of the bottle and perform several tests consisting of 1.) pouring it in a glass and 2.) drinking it. If I am still alive after doing this, I will have the MBRI (me) provide the results of these stringent testing procedures to the Homebrew Public. DO NOT DELAY! Your sacrificial donation could impact the brewing kingdom (or me) for all time! Thank you in advance.

Gonna be opening it in a bit. Mildly worried that my BiL may have used it as a piss bottle while hanging out with people in the garage.

I doubt it but there is the chance...

Definitely wasn't urine.

Pretty sure at one point it may have been a pilsner but needed to be washed down. Heavily.

Happy I tried it instead of just dumping it like SWMBO suggested thiugh.

LOL! A couple of weeks ago I found a few bottles of a Cherry Wheat Ale I made 8 years ago. As suspected, it's was a bit on the cidery side due to the cherry, but it was by no means bad. I drank the whole thing.

FWIW, I have a variety of meads that are over 10 years old and 1 or 2 over 20 years old.

LOL! A couple of weeks ago I found a few bottles of a Cherry Wheat Ale I made 8 years ago. As suspected, it's was a bit on the cidery side due to the cherry, but it was by no means bad. I drank the whole thing.

FWIW, I have a variety of meads that are over 10 years old and 1 or 2 over 20 years old.

The MBRI would be interested in these.

The infamous, "Mystery Beer Research Institute", of course! Unless by "which", you mean which location, which I regret to say for purposes of utmost confidentiality, must remain --- as the title suggests --- a "mystery".

Thanks. There are a number of MBRI's that didn't seem applicable in this situation.

FYI: I also found some 10 year old Dubbel's and 9 year old Scotch Silly's (made with peat malt) in a box in a back corner, under a shelf, behind the cases of bottles that has buckets of grain in front of them.

Latest posts

Back