10 GALLON KEGS ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesBrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a 10 gallon ball lock keg, for a reasonable price, that wasn't previously used to hold chemicals? It would be great to dump my 10 gallon batches into one keg and take up less space in the kegerator.

They are expensive- really, really expensive- and I have a friend who has one. I'd like to use them for fermenters, but I can't really justify the cost.

Thanks for the links. low $200s ok, $300+, too much. You weren't kidding on really expensive. The factory second are more than twice what My 5gal kegs cost new.

For the money they're asking, I can get a 15.5 gal brite tank like the ones I use for fermenting 10 gal batches, with plenty of head space.
I've already got 2, thinking about another.

That is pretty intriguing. Especially since I'm also looking for 2 7s or a 14 gallon fermentor in stainless.
-Does this come with pickup tube for serving?
-since you ferment in these can you comment on this claim?
"Fermenting under pressure in a brite tank reduces esters and fusel alcohol production so that you can ferment at warmer temperatures"

That is pretty intriguing. Especially since I'm also looking for 2 7s or a 14 gallon fermentor in stainless.
-Does this come with pickup tube for serving?
-since you ferment in these can you comment on this claim?
"Fermenting under pressure in a brite tank reduces esters and fusel alcohol production so that you can ferment at warmer temperatures"

I've done about 5-6 batches since I got the first tank, all using a spunding valve.

All but one was in my fermentation chamber under controlled temperature conditions.

Just for grins, I did one ( a simple Golden Promise / Flaked Rye with Nelson Hops) that I did not put into the chamber, and just let it ferment under its own steam. The ambient temp in the room was about 75.

Temps ramped up to the mid-to-high 80's during fermentation, and then back to upper 70's before I moved it to the fermentation chamber for cold-crashing. Neither I nor anyone else that sampled the brew noticed any off flavors or aromas.

Back