Need a new, easier to read, hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
I hate my hydrometer. It's accurate (as far as I know) but I can barely read the damn thing. The graduations on it are too small/close together. It's one of the triple scales that comes with "beginner kits."

I've searched here but haven't come across much. I don't really give a crap about triple scale, all I care about is reading gravity. Can anyone recommend a hydrometer with larger numbers and graduations? I'm only 32ish years old and feel like an old fogey asking for suggestions on this. Thanks.

you are looking for a final gravity hydrometer:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/final-gravity-hydrometer.html

The downside it only is good for gravity below 1.020...unfortunately to get larger numbers and graduations you will need to change the form factor of the device itself...
Thanks for the heads up. I guess I need multiple hydros...

It's called a refractometer. You'll love it. Only works pre-fermentation though.

All the Best,
D. White
Been VERY interested in refros actually. But I hate the fact that they're only applicable pre-ferm. I really want some digital contraption that can just take a small sample and instantly tell me the gravity. Why hasn't this been invented yet?

I have a set of these and I love them. They are much easier to read than the standard triple scale models.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewery-essentials-advanced-gravity-testing-assembly

Unfortunately it appears as if they are currently out of stock however.
Guess I really do need multiple hydros...

Been VERY interested in refros actually. But I hate the fact that they're only applicable pre-ferm. I really want some digital contraption that can just take a small sample and instantly tell me the gravity. Why hasn't this been invented yet?

Or a big wallet

stm2.jpg

"eDrometer
TM

The New Standard in Affordable, Accurate Measurement

The hydrometer is one of the most important pieces of equipment a wine maker, brewer or distiller has at their disposal. With so much at stake why settle for anything but the best…the eDrometer. Here is what makes the eDrometer stand out:

Accurate...0.0015*
Numerous Outputs

SG
Density (g/cc )
ºBrix
ºPlato
ºBaume'
gm/l sugar
PA (Potential Alcohol)
% ABV ** ''
Proof
Temperature (F and C)

Temperature Compensated
5-35C (40-95F) Operating Temperature
Wide SG Range... 0.7 to 1.5
Easy to use
Effortless to clean
Robust…Won’t roll off the table
Easy to read display

Consider this, to get the accuracy and numerous outputs using traditional floating hydrometers it would require several unique hydrometers costing hundreds of dollars...the decision is clear. "

$395.00

No need for for multiple hydrometers. You can get yourself a refractometer for pre-fermentation readings and then use the final gravity hydrometer at the end of fermentation.

Of course, you won't have the ability to read gravity during active fermentation; but I've always been confused as why people are doing readings at this time anyway.

Or a big wallet

stm2.jpg

"eDrometer
TM

The New Standard in Affordable, Accurate Measurement

The hydrometer is one of the most important pieces of equipment a wine maker, brewer or distiller has at their disposal. With so much at stake why settle for anything but the best…the eDrometer. Here is what makes the eDrometer stand out:

Accurate...0.0015*
Numerous Outputs

SG
Density (g/cc )
ºBrix
ºPlato
ºBaume'
gm/l sugar
PA (Potential Alcohol)
% ABV ** ''
Proof
Temperature (F and C)

Temperature Compensated
5-35C (40-95F) Operating Temperature
Wide SG Range... 0.7 to 1.5
Easy to use
Effortless to clean
Robust…Won’t roll off the table
Easy to read display

Consider this, to get the accuracy and numerous outputs using traditional floating hydrometers it would require several unique hydrometers costing hundreds of dollars...the decision is clear. "

$395.00

Cool toy, but I'll take my lumps with accuracy using my $25 dollar refractometer and $20 hydrometer. I'm not budweiser...

It's called a refractometer. You'll love it. Only works pre-fermentation though.

All the Best,
D. White

There's a tool in BrewSmith that does the calculations using the Brix scale on the refractometer, as long as you know your OG. I've compared the output to a hydrometer reading and it's spot on. I now use the refractometer exclusively with great results.

I've always been confused as why people are doing readings at this time anyway.

For myself, I adjust active fermentation temperatures (usually up) for both ales and lagers based on the SG readings. For example, this week I bumped up my IPA from 68 to 70 and then 72 as the SG hit 1.015 and then 1.008, respectively. I do this so that I can permit certain flavors to develop, and to encourage the yeast to clean up everything at the end.

You can use refractometers post-fermentation, you just need to use a calculator app to adjust for the presence of alcohol. Takes about 4 seconds.

If you only care about whether the fermentation is done or not, you don't even need to do the calculation. Just wait for a stable reading. Even though the reading isn't accurate, if there is no change you can still assume the fermentation is done and you are good to bottle.

No need for for multiple hydrometers. You can get yourself a refractometer for pre-fermentation readings and then use the final gravity hydrometer at the end of fermentation.

Of course, you won't have the ability to read gravity during active fermentation; but I've always been confused as why people are doing readings at this time anyway.
I'm strongly considering this. I don't care about measuring gravity during fermentation either. I take gravity after I chill before pitching, then again after primary when I'm kegging or dry hopping. Then, as people below have suggested, I could still use the refro for FG if I use one of those calculators. And from what others say, they seem to be pretty spot on.

For myself, I adjust active fermentation temperatures (usually up) for both ales and lagers based on the SG readings. For example, this week I bumped up my IPA from 68 to 70 and then 72 as the SG hit 1.015 and then 1.008, respectively. I do this so that I can permit certain flavors to develop, and to encourage the yeast to clean up everything at the end.

Yep, I do this too, I'm not as methodical about it with the multiple readings, etc. I go more on when fermentation appears to be wrapping up and just jacking the temp. More of a KISS approach.

I take my samples into work and use the density meter. I can get sg down to O.001. So the solution is work some where with a density meter

I take my samples into work and use the density meter. I can get sg down to O.001. So the solution is work some where with a density meter
Hmmm...I do work for my state's health and environmental protection agency. Maybe somebody over in water quality has a density meter!

If you do go with narrow scale, laboratory-grade hydrometers be careful. They are very fragile. Handle them with great care and never wash them with hot top water, as they will break. (Your triple scale, all-purpose hydrometer is built like a tank in comparison...)

This is exactly what I do. Except that I also use a Brewometer during ferm to show me when it's finished.

How do you like the Brewmometer? I'm basically looking for a "practical" excuse to buy what looks like a seriously cool toy. :D
Sorry, you weren't asking me, and I don't have one. But seems like the consensus of people who do have them is all extremely positive. And their customer service is fantastic. This thing keeps getting better and better.

Sorry, you weren't asking me, and I don't have one. But seems like the consensus of people who do have them is all extremely positive. And their customer service is fantastic. This thing keeps getting better and better.

Oops, I was quoting the quoter, meant this Q for @Murphys_Law. :tank:

I don't own a refractometer but it seems everyone is in agreement that they are only good for OG but the ones I found online say they measure SG from 1.000-1.120. Why is this not acceptable for OG and FG?

I don't own a refractometer but it seems everyone is in agreement that they are only good for OG but the ones I found online say they measure SG from 1.000-1.120. Why is this not acceptable for OG and FG?

The refractive index of the beer is altered by the presence of ethanol. Hydrometer use density. There are calculators out there that can convert your sg reading during/after fermentation as long as you have the OG

The refractive index of the beer is altered by the presence of ethanol. Hydrometer use density. There are calculators out there that can convert your sg reading during/after fermentation as long as you have the OG

I did not know that. Thank you.

How do you like the Brewmometer? I'm basically looking for a "practical" excuse to buy what looks like a seriously cool toy. :D

Love it!

But I think you need to keep the thing in context - it's really cool to show trends. I don't expect "balls on" accuracy so I use averages for both temp and SG readings on my charts and always use the hydro for arriving at my FG. Essentially, I track the ferm progress and this shows me when the beer has stabilized.

And you can do cool things like this (charts are incorrect now since nothing is brewing!)

https://sites.google.com/site/cooldudehomebrew/home

Although it's nice for the record to get a precise reading of FG, after so many batches I've come to the conclusion that when a beer is done, there's not much you can do to change it anyway. A close enough reading is good enough. I don't even bring the sample down to 60°F anymore.

I'm a fan of narrow-range hydrometers.

Use them on every batch.

Reproducibility and Accuracy are important to me so my readings are always taken at the calibration point which for these hydrometers is 60F (sample and hydrometer at 60F).

OG and FG example
attachment.php

Intra-fermentation Reading and FG example
attachment.php

Back