Leak- post or disconnect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jermillion

Reaction score
When I kegged my latest brew I was disappointed with a leak and was losing beer. The post itself seemed fine because there weren't any leaks when the beer was under pressure. I tried several steps and can't seem to solve the problem. Here are the steps that I took one at a time - any advice for solving my delimma?

1. Put more lube on the post o-ring.
2. Took apart the disconnect to make sure I had put it back together correctly after cleaning.
3. Replaced the disconnect.
4. Replaced all the o-rings
5. Replace the post and poppet.
6. Tried the new poppet in the old post.

None of these attempts solved the problem. The beer is fine under pressure, but when attach the disconnect it begins to leak.

Using a Corny keg I suppose?
Where's the beer exactly leaking from once you push the disconnect onto the post?
What kind of disconnect are you using?

For easier troubleshooting, could you perhaps post a picture of that post/disconnect area?

Yes, it is a Corny keg and ball lock disconnect. I've uploaded a picture of both the post and the type of disconnect that I am using.
The leak is coming from inside the disconnect and leaking down the post or possibly from the poppet area and down the post if there is a problem there.

Attachments

• IMG_20240520_191540.jpg
    IMG_20240520_191540.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
First off, I've never seen a keg poppet stick up (out) that far above the post. But that should not be the cause of the leak, because once the QD is pressed down, the seal is made between the inner surface of the QD and the o-ring on the post.

Does the post o-ring extend outside the channel a little bit? That's needed to make a positive seal with the inner surface of the QD.

As @sibelman mentioned, these white QDs are unusual.
Perhaps they are generics (possibly cheap Chinese import) and may well be out of spec. As @sibelman said, CMB QDs are black (liquid) or light gray (gas). Do you have any of those?

AFAIK, mating-wise, you can stick a gas QD on a liquid post, but you should never force a liquid QD onto a gas post (I know from experience).

Yes, it is a Corny keg and ball lock disconnect. I've uploaded a picture of both the post and the type of disconnect that I am using.
The leak is coming from inside the disconnect and leaking down the post or possibly from the poppet area and down the post if there is a problem there.
Have you tried a different gas connector to isolate the problem, poppet, or the gas connector?
I use universal poppets like in your picture but mine don't produde out so much. If different gas connectors have the same problem, the poppets can't be pushed down enough, which makes the CO2 leak out of the connector.

Thanks everyone. The advice on the color solved the problem. I've had some issues in the past, but somehow got away with using a white disconnect for the liquid. Fortunately, I had a black disconnect to try. No leaks.

Thanks again, you helped save a batch of brown ale and my wife's ears from further cussing.

Can't remember which is worse: gas QD on a beer post, or vice versa? One of them is bound to ding up a post O-ring.

I have had one memorable experience with that:
AFAIK, mating-wise, you can stick a gas QD on a liquid post, but you should never force a liquid QD onto a gas post (I know from experience).
The post itself can handle it, but the (black) QD's collar will pull apart while trying to pry it off, completely ruining it.

Can't remember which is worse: gas QD on a beer post, or vice versa? One of them is bound to ding up a post O-ring.

Meanwhile...Is that a "universal poppet" that is so enthusiastic about its mission in life? :oops:
Yes, that is a universal poppet.

When I started kegging I had the exact same leak happen a few times with both gas and liquid disconnects... I had bought the cheap chinese ones. After searching this site and sucking up the knowledge on offer, I ran out to my LHBS and bought some genuine CMB's and I could immediately feel the difference plugging and unplugging them. So my first suggestion is that it'd be very much worth your time and cash in the long run to replace all your cheapies. Here's the CMB's:
https://www.brewhardware.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=cmb&Submit=
As to the poppets and posts, I know there are at least 2 different companies making universal poppets, and while most people have success with one of them, the other causes issues for a lot of folk, most notably; sticking out too far and sealing poorly. Like others have mentioned; Have you checked that the poppet tip is the right way around?..the o-ring should be on the shorter side with the longer side down in the spring. Maybe this would be a good time to identify which make/models your kegs are and buy some replacement poppets and maybe posts and o-rings;
https://www.chicompany.net/poppet-valves-c-376_1_492/
https://www.chicompany.net/tank-posts-adapters-c-376_1_490/
Just my 2-cents.
:mug:

Latest posts

Back