Grain crush - Mill set at 0.035 / 0.88mm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmubronco

Reaction score
IMG_4881.JPG
Barley Crusher, used feeler gauge to adjust mill spacing to 0.035 / 0.88mm. Seems like the crush leaned towards "pulverized" area. Sparge was a bit slow at first, but then ramped up to a steady pace.

Hit efficiency of 82%, so my worries resided. Anyone else see same results using this gap setting, or would you recommend to adjust to a larger gap?

Here's a pic...

That looks really close to what i get at 0.036". I run a 3 vessel recirculating herms system with typical efficiencies from 85% to 90% depending on the recipe. I think you should be fine. Some grains will have a lower moisture content and produce more a little more powder, some will have a bit more moisture and crush without as much powder. With wheat, you may want to run through twice since the grains are smaller (except Great Western White Wheat, those kernels are almost barley size).

You can also "condition" your grain. Simply put, its wetting the grain before milling so they do more "schmushing" and less powdering. It also helps the hulls stay more intact. There's a few methods and examples around the web.

If it still makes you nervous, run a half pound of rice hulls per 5 gallons. Hulls are neutral and will have no effect on flavor or color. For the dollar or less per batch, its cheap insurance and I've noticed a slight increase in efficiency since i started using them in most of my recipes. I may even go down to 0.032 soon.

I still need to try that. I'm so over emptying the MLT after brewing.

Smartest thing I've ever done! I have a tippy dump on the MLT as well so after the sparge, I close the bag, dump the MLT into a bin, and then just drag the bin out. Usually, the grainbill is about 25 pounds, so 25 pounds of wet grain is more like 45 pounds. Then the MLT just needs a rinse/clean instead of scooping out little pieces of grain. I still use a stand and false bottom, to avoid clogging up the bottom where the drain leading to the pump is, but it's been such a labor saving thing for me that I can't believe I didn't do it 10 years ago!

I normally lug the tub of spent grains out to the horses (spent grain is horse crack). Scooping the MLT to get it light enough to lift is ridiculous. I'm gonna order a bag next week.

I normally lug the tub of spent grains out to the horses (spent grain is horse crack). Scooping the MLT to get it light enough to lift is ridiculous. I'm gonna order a bag next week.

That bag full of spent and soaked grain isn't going to be much lighter. :)

I have one of these: https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/g--6251-little-giant-5-pint-plastic-feed-scoop.html

562260.jpg

I use it for measuring and weighing out grain prior to crushing as well as transferring crushed grain into the MLT and scooping it out when it's spent.

I also have a smaller one https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/204619-little-giant-plastic-feed-scoop.html for getting into tighter spaces, measuring and weighing smaller amounts, and so on.

204619.jpg

Can't imagine what I'd use if I didn't have these. I find them invaluable.

fwiw, I fly sparge with the excellent Blichmann fb on a 3v2p herms and my standard BC setting is .035" for barley. That crush looks good in my book.
Extract efficiency is in the 90s and I've not had problems recirculating. No need to go any looser...

Cheers!

Smartest thing I've ever done! I have a tippy dump on the MLT as well so after the sparge, I close the bag, dump the MLT into a bin, and then just drag the bin out. Usually, the grainbill is about 25 pounds, so 25 pounds of wet grain is more like 45 pounds. Then the MLT just needs a rinse/clean instead of scooping out little pieces of grain. I still use a stand and false bottom, to avoid clogging up the bottom where the drain leading to the pump is, but it's been such a labor saving thing for me that I can't believe I didn't do it 10 years ago!

Hmmm... I’ve been using my BIAB bag as my filter for quite some time and am about at the point in which I figured I’d buy the stainless mess filter that a friend has and swears by. By what you are saying is that it’s still better to use both.

Granted I don’t brew anything larger than 5.5 gals and figured I wouldn’t mind grain particles in the yard by spraying what didn’t pour out into the kitchen trash can. But you’d still recommend doing both? I really am tired of cleaning out that grain bag and washing it in the top shelf of the dishwasher with PBW or OxyClean.

My MM 2 is set to 0.037” (measured with calipers) by using a metal bracket piece I didn’t need. I condition my grains and don’t get tiny particles like that. Hard wheat can be a bit difficult to mill though.

I had tried a spent iTunes card but at 0.028” it was just a bit much (I hand crank the mill).

I don't understand the problem. The crush looks good. If you think it is too much you can back off a bit, condition the grains or both. Mine always looks like that (Corona style mill) My system drains well, but if I think I might get a stuck sparge I will add some rice hulls.

Unless you fly sparge, I don't know what over emptying a mash tun would be?? I get all the wort out that I possibly can.. As long as I don't collect too much preboil wort.

Hmmm... I’ve been using my BIAB bag as my filter for quite some time and am about at the point in which I figured I’d buy the stainless mess filter that a friend has and swears by. By what you are saying is that it’s still better to use both.

Granted I don’t brew anything larger than 5.5 gals and figured I wouldn’t mind grain particles in the yard by spraying what didn’t pour out into the kitchen trash can. But you’d still recommend doing both? I really am tired of cleaning out that grain bag and washing it in the top shelf of the dishwasher with PBW or OxyClean.

Using both works for me- but I brew indoors and my MLT is heavy even empty so it makes my life easier to use a bag, as I used to have some problems with the bottom draining MLT clogging a bit. I wash my grainbag in the washing machine with my towels, so that hasn't been a problem at all.

Using both works for me- but I brew indoors and my MLT is heavy even empty so it makes my life easier to use a bag, as I used to have some problems with the bottom draining MLT clogging a bit. I wash my grainbag in the washing machine with my towels, so that hasn't been a problem at all.

I, too, brew indoors. Texas is too hot and has too many bugs for me to want to go outside. Plus I love how the house smells all day long. Been known to walk outside a moment just to get the full effect again!

So washing the grain bag with laundry soap doesn’t effect the wort? I figured everything that touches the wort could have a negative effect to some degree, even if it’s not noticeable.

Since using the LHBS mill, this was my first time crushing 20lbs. at home, so I will stick with my gap setting I have. Seems to be sufficient with some feedback from the forum. I have a false bottom in my MT and luckily did not get a stuck sparge this time around.

The picture was from 18lbs of German Pilsner (Weyermann) and 2.1lbs of German Cara Hell.

For those using a bag in the mash tun: get a ratcheting pulley to get the bag out. Grain gets to drip dry (lighter bag!) And pulls the grain off the bottom (faster sparge!) And you can squeeze the dickens out of it (higher efficiency!)

I love my ratchet!

Back