Contamination questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nurskyjon

Reaction score
I made a blue corn cream ale, my 5 year old son dropped a live worm into the cooled wort. How worried should i be about the batch. The acid from the hops and yeast should over take any bacteria?

That's a new one!

We've seen posts where kids have dropped in gummy bears and other candy, small toys, pacifiers, and such, and turned out successful.
A live worm, with whatever was clinging to it, is a new challenge.

Not much you can do about it at this point.
I would try to "fish it out," (pun intended) or rack the beer into another fermenter leaving the worm behind. Then wait and see what happens.

If it turns out successful (which odds may well be above 50/50), perhaps add some toasted wood chips to it, and call it Worm Wood Cream Ale. :D

Guessing little late now, but could it have been reheated to try fixing it rather than take the risk wait and see?

Not necessarily a full reboil, but whatever a time/temp curve might suggest for some degree of (re)sanitization?

Guessing little late now, but could it have been reheated to try fixing it rather than take the risk wait and see?
Excellent point, I missed that:
I made a blue corn cream ale, my 5 year old son dropped a live worm into the cooled wort.
Since it was cooled wort it should have been reheated (or reboiled), then rechilled and pitch the yeast.
@nurskyjon was this last night?
Have you pitched yeast yet?

Not necessarily a full reboil, but whatever a time/temp curve might suggest for some degree of (re)sanitization?
Pasteurization is the term. ;)
(Re)pasteurization can be done anywhere in the range of 150F-180F. At the lower end of the temp range (150F) for a longer time, at the higher end (180F) for a shorter time. Perhaps even a little lower than 150F.
The lower the pasteurization temp the less it will change the character of the beer.

Re-pasteurization is best and should be done, for all security.
Then re-pitch the yeast.

Yeah that would have worked I think, but I have already pitched yeast. I going to commit to full fermentation and see what happens. It seems really good, but this day 1. I will update in a few weeks.

[...] but I have already pitched yeast. I going to commit to full fermentation and see what happens.
We are very curious how this turns out, yes!
Keep us posted, please.

That said, you could still re-pasteurize it, to kill any bacteria that were introduced with the worm. Then rechill it, and pitch new yeast.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back