Wyermann Smoked Wheat malt and Grodziskie?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geniz

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Wyermann Oak Smoked Wheat Malt for a Grodziskie?

I have seen posts where others have smoked their own wheat malt, but if the Wyermann is good, I'd like to use it for consistency.

If you are using it, are you using it for 100% of your grist? Wyermann suggests 80%. Is there a problem mashing this without pale malt?

I can't seem to find any of the threads back now, but I seem to remember reading that the Weyerman smoked malt is actually not terribly consistently smoky from batch to batch. I'm not sure what you should do with that information though.

AFAIK, smoked malt will convert just fine on its own. It's not heated any higher, just with a smokier fire source. Distillers making scotch whisky, for instance, would usually use 100% peat-smoked malt in their mash. I've never brewed with smoked malt before, but I know people have used it for nearly their entire grist.

Thanks Binkman

Sounds like I'll have to do some 'sperimenting

Back