Will a 40l Preserving Cooker be suitable for BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MafuewWilson

Reaction score
Apologies if there's already a thread on this, this forum has answered many of my brewing questions but couldn't find an answer to this one...

I'm about to make the jump to BIAB, I've done a few batches before on a stove top with a borrowed pot. I've seen this online and looks perfect but would it work?

https://www.klarstein.co.uk/Kitchen...D-vPcl4g0WsclvFbdclqzJMd0XP1kxKwaAg67EALw_wcB
It looks as though it goes to 110 degrees C which is higher than the Buffalo Boilers I was looking at before. Any help or answers would be much appreciated, thank you!

This kettle appears adequate to make up to 21 L (to fermenter) batches of beer with OG's up to about 1.080 (19 - 20°P) using a no-sparge BIAB process. I couldn't find anywhere that listed the heater wattage (or current draw, from which the wattage could be calculated.) Heater wattage will determine the time to heat to mash temps and the time to heat to boil.

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:
Wonderful, thanks for the reply!!

It definitely looks like it'll do the job without having to mess around with the electrical parts like I saw other brewers having to do with Kettles.
I do wonder why no one else is using them but I'll post my results if they help anyone else

This kettle appears adequate to make up to 21 L (to fermenter) batches of beer with OG's up to about 1.080 (19 - 20°P) using a no-sparge BIAB process. I couldn't find anywhere that listed the heater wattage (or current draw, from which the wattage could be calculated.) Heater wattage will determine the time to heat to mash temps and the time to heat to boil.

Brew on :mug:
On Amazon’s UK site this unit is described as having a 2500 watt current draw which would be about 10.5 amps @240V. The same company makes a couple of all-in-one brewing units (scroll down the page to the “related items” section).

You might want to upgrade the valve to stainless steel. Plastic will work but SS is more sanitary and easier to clean.

You can probably order one from the same company as they make the beer brewing models already equipped with them. Or a quick search on the internet may find a compatible valve cheaper.

On Amazon’s UK site this unit is described as having a 2500 watt current draw which would be about 10.5 amps @240V. The same company makes a couple of all-in-one brewing units (scroll down the page to the “related items” section).

Thanks for the info! I saw their all in one's and electric kettles but thought they were a little pricey compared to the cooker I posted. I was more worried about not getting it to boil on brew day

You might want to upgrade the valve to stainless steel. Plastic will work but SS is more sanitary and easier to clean.

You can probably order one from the same company as they make the beer brewing models already equipped with them. Or a quick search on the internet may find a compatible valve cheaper.

I'm not planning on using the tap, thinking I'll just syphon off the top but definitely a good idea to replace the plastic.
Didn't think of that so cheers!

Back