White Labs WLP029 German Ale Kolsch yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPNewBrew

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently purchased a blonde ale kit, specifying SafaleUS-05 dry yeast as the yeast adder to the kit. When the kit arrived (today), they provided the Safale yeast, but also provided the White Labs liquid yeast packet as well.

Is anyone familiar with these two yeasts and provide a recommendation as to what to use. I was going to split this 5 gal recipe to make 2 - 2.5 gal batches, so maybe I could try both, but just trying to get a little intelligence on the matter. From the description, and being a Kolsch yeast, the White Labs yeast may provide a little citrus flavor to the blonde, which might be interesting, but would certainly like your opinions.

Also, if I do decide to use both in two separate 2.5 gal batches, I assume I can go ahead and dump the entire yeast packets in the wort; or should I reduce the yeast add?

Finally, the liquid yeast did not come with an ice packet. Not sure if this impacted anything, as its not super hot in Houston these last couple days, but not sure. I assume these is a test I can do to make sure this yeast is not dead?

Many questions, I know - Thanks, Gary

Hi all, I recently purchased a blonde ale kit, specifying SafaleUS-05 dry yeast as the yeast adder to the kit. When the kit arrived (today), they provided the Safale yeast, but also provided the White Labs liquid yeast packet as well.

Is anyone familiar with these two yeasts and provide a recommendation as to what to use. I was going to split this 5 gal recipe to make 2 - 2.5 gal batches, so maybe I could try both, but just trying to get a little intelligence on the matter. From the description, and being a Kolsch yeast, the White Labs yeast may provide a little citrus flavor to the blonde, which might be interesting, but would certainly like your opinions.

Also, if I do decide to use both in two separate 2.5 gal batches, I assume I can go ahead and dump the entire yeast packets in the wort; or should I reduce the yeast add?

Finally, the liquid yeast did not come with an ice packet. Not sure if this impacted anything, as its not super hot in Houston these last couple days, but not sure. I assume these is a test I can do to make sure this yeast is not dead?

Many questions, I know - Thanks, Gary

It takes a big, big overpitch to be noticeable. Go ahead and use all of the US-05 for a 2 1/2 gallon batch.

You can do a "vitality starter" with the liquid yeast just to be sure it survived. Half the size starter as normal and pitch all of it at high krausen because at that point you will know the yeast is good and that little bit of starter won't affect your beer's flavor enough to notice.

Back