Where to post questions about fermented cucumbers (pickles)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PistolaPete

Reaction score
I have some questions about fermenting cucumbers to make pickles. It's been a while since I've been active in HBT, so I'm trying to relearn the layout of the site and the etiquette regarding posting. I didn't see a pinned thread regarding fermented cucumbers, but I could be overlooking it. I did find this old thread so should I revive it or start a new one?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/lacto-fermented-pickles.542024/

Attachments

• pickles.jpg
    pickles.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Ask away. I have been fermenting pickles for 5 or 6 years. Mostly from the harvest of my garden over the summer. I usually do a 3.5% brine by weight and have done as high as 5%(5% just takes longer and is a slightly more salty product). I like a dill pickles so I add garlic, dill, peppercorn, horseradish leaves(for tannins to help keep them crisp-can also use grape leaves, oak leaves or bay leaves). Sometimes I add mustard seed or hot peppers. Make sure the salt you use is iodine free(I use fine sea salt) and the water you use doesn't have any chlorine(I use my filtered well water).

I ferment saurkraut and kimchi as well.

Ask away. I have been fermenting pickles for 5 or 6 years. Mostly from the harvest of my garden over the summer. I usually do a 3.5% brine by weight and have done as high as 5%(5% just takes longer and is a slightly more salty product). I like a dill pickles so I add garlic, dill, peppercorn, horseradish leaves(for tannins to help keep them crisp-can also use grape leaves, oak leaves or bay leaves). Sometimes I add mustard seed or hot peppers. Make sure the salt you use is iodine free(I use fine sea salt) and the water you use doesn't have any chlorine(I use my filtered well water).

I ferment saurkraut and kimchi as well.
Here's a run down in case you'd like to make any recommendations: This is only my 3rd batch. Just doing small 1qt batches to practice. This one is about 4 days old so I'm gonna force myself to wait another day or two to have a sample. Temp in house around 68F. Water is cloudy so it's looking good. I didn't realize I've been making a 5.25-5.5% brine so will I try less salt next time for a 3.5%. I know not to use iodized salt. I have been using tap water, and it's been working, but will try distilled next time. I also added 1/4 tsp of Pickle Crisp (CaCl). One English cucumber cut up because I assume it was waxed. Also cut up one clove of garlic and some dill. I have 2 weights in there because some were trying to poke above the brine.

What does everyone do to sanitize the jar, lid & weights, etc. ?
I read not to use soap on the vegetables or it will kill the lacto on the skin. Should I do anything more than rinse them in cold water?

TIA!

Attachments

• pickles.jpeg
    pickles.jpeg
    13.8 KB · Views: 0
  • picklejpg.jpg
    picklejpg.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Can anybody point me to some decent reading on fermented pickles versus vinegar pickling? I swear if Google sends me to one more blog espousing the healing properties of fermented foods, I'm going to AI word vomit all over.

I'm intrigued at the possibility, as I go through the better part of 80 quarts of pickles a year....

Here's a run down in case you'd like to make any recommendations: This is only my 3rd batch. Just doing small 1qt batches to practice. This one is about 4 days old so I'm gonna force myself to wait another day or two to have a sample. Temp in house around 68F. Water is cloudy so it's looking good. I didn't realize I've been making a 5.25-5.5% brine so will I try less salt next time for a 3.5%. I know not to use iodized salt. I have been using tap water, and it's been working, but will try distilled next time. I also added 1/4 tsp of Pickle Crisp (CaCl). One English cucumber cut up because I assume it was waxed. Also cut up one clove of garlic and some dill. I have 2 weights in there because some were trying to poke above the brine.

What does everyone do to sanitize the jar, lid & weights, etc. ?
I read not to use soap on the vegetables or it will kill the lacto on the skin. Should I do anything more than rinse them in cold water?

TIA!
Sounds like you have the process down mostly. You are going to have to play with the time and sample daily to get the product you want. Put them in the fridge when you are satisfied. And eat promptly within a few weeks. They will continue to slowly ferment even in the fridge. Eventually they will turn to mush.

I don't get crazy sanitizing the jars, lids, & weights. Usually hand wash the lids and weights. Run jars through the dishwasher. I rinse the cucumbers under cold water and brush them if needed.

Can anybody point me to some decent reading on fermented pickles versus vinegar pickling? I swear if Google sends me to one more blog espousing the healing properties of fermented foods, I'm going to AI word vomit all over.

I'm intrigued at the possibility, as I go through the better part of 80 quarts of pickles a year....
This is the site(which I guess is a blog-sorry) that I got most of my info from. But I see she has changed her method to take into account the total ratio of salt vs. cucumber & water weight. Initially the ratio was only the brine which is what I have always done.

https://www.makesauerkraut.com/pickled-vs-fermented/

https://www.makesauerkraut.com/fermented-pickles/

I can't think of any sites that compare the two that are not blogs. The two methods make a different pickle. Fermented pickles are sour. Canned or refrigerator pickles that use approximately 50% vinegar/50% water are more acidic or vinegary if that make sense. There is a lady on youtube that is polish that shows how to do both methods. Polishyourkitchen.com

I like to make refrigerator pickles in the summer too. They keep for months but take up a lot of fridge space. Canned pickles are my last resort but they get soft. I did find a method recently where you can them at 180F for 30 minutes(which pasturizes them) and keeps them fairly crisp. I use my Sous vide to accomplish that.

@Oldskewl Yes 180 for 30 minutes, USDA approved method.

@PistolaPete Cut about 1/16" off the blossom end which is supposed to improve crispness. I use RO water and iodine free salt, also pickle crisp which is calcium chloride a brewing water salt. I try to pack the jars very full so that the weight stays at the top. I use 1/2 gallon wide mouths for fermented pickles. Usually about 3% brine. Always garlic, mustard, dill, bay leaf. peppercorns, maybe a little coriander I didn't try onions in my fermented pickles but my canned ones I did and the onions were really tasty when I used cider vinegar. That was my favorite batch from last season. Cover the jars or keep in a dark basement, just like beer in a carboy.

I tried to water bath can the fermented pickles, which can be done, but they were too mushy and separated inside. I let them go too long (3 weeks). I think the trick is to ferment "half-sour" which is about a week if wanting to can and then maybe 180F. I had a huge bumper crop of pickling cukes last year. Usually they get wilted midseason but I escaped that fate last year.

IMG_1082.jpg

+1 on RO water (rodi) Since they ferment it's like beer, keep them fermenting until you like them and then put in clean jars into the fridge to slow things down. I use 3% salt solution but that is a personal choice. I go by weight because I have the scale for brewing

It took me longer than it should have to realize that it's really easy to use metric when making your brine (by weight). I couldn't remember whatever the volumes were in tbsp per cups/qts etc. A liter of water is 1000 grams so a 3% solution is just 30 grams in 1 liter. Technically it's slightly off in that it should be 30g/1030g ~2.9% but close enough and I just toss in a little extra salt. Salt won't kill ya right? I think the few times I have seen recipes using metric like this the authors ignore the technicality. It appears to be the convention. It's a rough guide anyway. Usually, I think 3-5% is what is generally suggested for fermenting cucumbers.

Back