When to add acid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cottonwoodks

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm a new cider-maker, and I have a number of different batches in the works (4 gallons with purchased sweet cider from a local cider mill and 21 gallons with juice pressed from my own apples), but with both the commercial juice and the juice from my own apples, there's not enough acid. The pH is high (I only have pretty broad spectrum strips, but it looks like it's over 4 for all of them--maybe 4.5) and the ones that I started in the end of July just don't taste all that great. It seems like they're really missing something--something acidic, and probably tannins too. My apples are Enterprise, Liberty, and Jonafree. We've planted an orchard with a number of cider-apple trees, but they won't be bearing for a number of years, and in the meantime--how do I make THIS cider taste good?

I think I need to add acid (both for the flavor, and, doesn't more acid make it less prone to spoilage?). But when do I do it? It's too late for adding it to the juice before I start fermenting (except for my last batch which I'll be pressing this weekend). So...at what point? My fermentation has been going really fast because it's so warm (can't be helped this time of year and this is when the apples have been falling off my trees), so do I try to get it added while fermenting, or while racking to a secondary fermentation vessel, or when bottling, or when?

Thanks.

I only add acid after fermentation is complete. 1/4 to 1/2 tsp at a time to taste for a 5 gallon batch. We all perceive acidity and sweets differently but for me i rarely ever add kore than a tsp.

The fermentatipn process drives down pH / raises acidity and if you chosoe to add it prior to or during the ferment you could drive the pH / acidity to the point your yeast will struggle and get stressed.

I only add acid after fermentation is complete. 1/4 to 1/2 tsp at a time to taste for a 5 gallon batch. We all perceive acidity and sweets differently but for me i rarely ever add kore than a tsp.

The fermentatipn process drives down pH / raises acidity and if you chosoe to add it prior to or during the ferment you could drive the pH / acidity to the point your yeast will struggle and get stressed.
Ah, thanks! Those are things I didn't know. I'll certainly wait.....

Latest posts

Back