What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a sad day... last of the Black IPA.

1692230472562.jpeg

HB stout aged with heavy char American oak cubes. I brewed this around two years ago. One of the last beers I brewed. It's been in the bottle since early 2022. I think it already peaked but it's still pretty good.

PXL_20230816_234807591~2.jpg

Bonus pic of a nice find from my local bottle shop today. Check that year. He had a couple cases of these. Said the distributor just found them so he bought all he could. I should probably grab another before they are all gone.

PXL_20230816_234212254~2.jpg

You know, I can’t think of a time I didn’t enjoy a delicious few cans from Weihenstephaner. These fellas are dialed in. Not only that, they have the common sense to ship them in these nifty 500mL light blue mini kegs rather than “them skunky light green or light brown bottles.” Helles time!

A delicious and true-to-form, malty Helles from Weihenstephaner. We’re getting to my favorite season of the year soon. Hunting season? Football season? Nah, BEER DRINKING SEASON!! Fall is near!

Before I break out my lederhosen and plate of bratwurst, there’s still a few weeks of summer left, so start stocking up your Helles and Pilsners at Bevmo or TW&M. Soon there will be nothing on the shelves but Märzen’s. While I do enjoy a great Autumn Märzen, I’ve noticed the beer supply chain back to Munich gets so clogged with Oktoberfest, “Oktoberfest-ish” and Märzen types, not much Pils and Helles gets through the fall months. So stock up now! Fantastic beer.

IMG_4961.jpeg

Having a HB tropical stout while I look up local HVAC people. Our central a/c decided to stop working today. Checked all the obvious: circuit breaker, disconnect box, etc. Thermostat works, and the blower in the furnace is working. We just had the a/c unit installed in '15--can't be going toes-up yet. Hoping it's just a motor start cap or something dumb like that.

We're leaving for vacation next Tues (Driving to Alaska!), so I don't need this shiat now. And it's going to be mid 90s here this weekend.

View attachment 827235
Outside unit won't fire up with a bad cap and they're like $20 online. Good luck!

Strawberry wine, made with fresh strawberries and cheap strawberry preserves. It didn't taste like much when I bottled it 6 (?) months ago, but I put it in flip-top bottles and now it is "petulant" (halfway carbonated) and the flavor has improved quite a bit. Color is light pink. It would be really good if I sweeten it just a little. I should make some strawberry syrup

View attachment 827276
A pint of my Sussex bitter clone. Good weather for a change so sat in the garden yesterday evening.
That's a very handsome pint indeed.

Only water for me, as I'm currently sat in a hospital delivery suite waiting for my wife to go in for surgery...but I'll have something on.my return home this evening.

Outside unit won't fire up with a bad cap and they're like $20 online. Good luck!

Wish I could say that's all it was. Had a tech come over, all the refrigerant was gone. Compressor has a fail safe that won't let it start w/o refrigerant. The culprit was a corroded tube leading to the evaporator. It was routed such that it dipped into a puddle of condensation that collects in a drip pan inside. The tech spliced some 1/4" copper to replace that, and routed it away from the drip pan. Recharged with 5 lbs of 410A and we're back in business. Cost about $450, which I thought was very reasonable.

Going to hit mid-90s here this weekend.

Last edited:
Having a HB IPA and listening to The Cars. Nice cool day before the heat wave comes this weekend.

We're leaving for Alaska on Tues, sooo stoked! We're driving it all, taking the Alcan hwy. People think we're nuts.

Maybe we are.

Looking forward to checking out some breweries along the way.

1000015458.jpg

We’re playing the hits:
View attachment 827301

Nothing wrong with a High Life. That's my beer of choice when I'm in one of those rare places that doesn't have any craft brews. Last week, I was in a Legion hall where my brother was getting married. We were there for the rehearsal. BMC only, so I ordered Miller in a bottle. Actually better than I remembered. I ordered a second one. :)

Not that there is anything wrong with it but... aren't you one of the people on this site with the most kegs/taps? Nothing more interesting in your keezers? Not judging, just curious.
I brew often and I always have more beer on hand than I can reasonably drink. I almost never drink commercial beer, as a result, even if it’s fantastic.

Right now stocks are low, but I still have 7 beers (stout, Dunkel, schwarz, rauch, grodz, adjunct lager, Baltic Porter) good enough to serve to company, plus another 10 or so that are on tap and objectively ok, but that I’m not necessarily happy with.

Today in particular, though, I was taste-testing to try to find the right macro lager to pass around for a class I’ll be teaching next week. PBR is perfect. Even if it’s not what you’re looking for in a beer, there’s just no faulting the execution (at least for the relatively fresh sample I found at my local store.)

I received some great news today! I passed a significant battery of tests and I’m on to stage four of the kidney donation process. I decided to set aside the little Kolsch glass and celebrate with a proper pils glass.

This is Panther Piss Paleo Vulgaris. It’s just 6-row, corn, and Clusters. However, this time I used Riverbend’s 6-row for the first time. Holy smokes! If you’re in the Mid-Atlantic, their 6-row is worth every penny! I’m thinking about buying a new Vittles Vault. It’s that good.
17DE53D1-7BA6-43F0-A32F-223A41DDC38B.jpeg

(Rist, it’s between the handle and the bottom of the glass 😁)

I received some great news today! I passed a significant battery of tests and I’m on to stage four of the kidney donation process. I decided to set aside the little Kolsch glass and celebrate with a proper pils glass.
Here's hoping for a successful transplant and many more years with us. I wish you the best!

Chapter 5 of the box that keeps on giving brings hither a Samuel Smith Taddy Porter. Another wonderous brew from our friends at Samuel Smith’s, since 1758. Porters used to be all the rage back in the 1700’s, I read somewhere that George Washington’s favorite brew was a Porter. The name comes from workers in London, how that comes together I don’t know exactly, but had something to do with the job of being a Porter. Gotta love them ales!

First taste is a little fruity to me, but my palate cancels that out quickly, tastes very much like the halfway stop to a full-on stout. Very pleasant, I can see how this was so popular, I dig it. Medium carbonation, a frothy quarter-inch head dissipates in a minute or so, good lacing. Good to go with a steak dinner, but again, sadly served up in those wimpy and pathetic little 12 ounce baby bottles so don’t order the 20-ounce sirloin without several of these little fellas. Hey at least they aren’t the 11.2’s. Aren't British beers supposed to be served in pints? Dunno. Short pour. Down in 3 gulps. Great beer!

IMG_4967.jpeg

AlexKAy says: "Right now stocks are low, but I still have 7 beers (stout, Dunkel, schwarz, rauch, grodz, adjunct lager, Baltic Porter) good enough to serve to company, plus another 10 or so that are on tap and objectively ok, but that I’m not necessarily happy with."

Alex you are the man! (unless you're a womam) I'm able to chill/serve 5 cornies in my upright but it is rare that I have 5 ready at the same time. Only three on now, and I'd serve them to guests, but totally understand the "objectively ok, but that I’m not necessarily happy with."

On a related note... a while ago I made 4 gallons of saison thinking to take it to a bbq last weekend. Decided not to. It was too good to waste upon the philistines.

Last edited:
Having a HB IPA and listening to The Cars. Nice cool day before the heat wave comes this weekend.

We're leaving for Alaska on Tues, sooo stoked! We're driving it all, taking the Alcan hwy. People think we're nuts.

Maybe we are.

View attachment 827302
Nuts? I don't thinks so. The ALCAN is paved now. Easy peasy. My Granddad rode the ALCAN when it was gravel, on a motorcycle with Grandma on the back seat.

Nuts? I don't thinks so. The ALCAN is paved now. Easy peasy. My Granddad rode the ALCAN when it was gravel, on a motorcycle with Grandma on the back seat.

Uphill both ways, barefoot in the snow, sharing one sandwich for the entire trip. Did I mention naked?
You kids don't realize how easy you got it these days.

Maybe we are.

View attachment 827302
I’ll bet I can guess which brewery you visit will be the smallest one. 😎

At the city house for a couple of days. We interrupted harvesting to help our grandson move out of our house and into the apartment he scored just a few blocks away (housing market, whether buying or renting, is pretty tight right now in this town). Our son and DIL came down as well, to bring the rest of Daniel’s things from the farm, and haul another load of stuff back for their younger son’s apartment in the town where he goes to college. Son, DIL, and I are going back later today; my wife is staying in Billings for a few more days to stay with our two young grandsons whose daycare shuts down for two weeks before school starts. She’ll bring them to the farm on Tuesday to stay with us for a week, or so.

HB Fizzy Yellow Beer after mowing the lawn on a very humid day.
4ECD1BFD-CA1C-4962-9F58-CB9D49793C92.jpeg

Latest posts

Back