Traditional dunkelweizen ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green_giant43

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to make this but doing a slightly higher than half bill of dark wheat and then filling it out with pilsner and munich nets me too low of an SRM for the style. Both dark wheat and munich are about 9 SRM. Even if I go with Munich 20L, I can't hit the style marker.

Is Carawheat (Weyermann) used a lot? I'm not looking to do chocolate wheat as I don't think I want that roastiness in it.

I am currently drinking a dunkelweizen that I brewed a couple of months ago. I used 5 lbs of wheat malt and 5 pounds of Munich. To that, I added 6 oz of caramunich II, 2 oz of carafa III, and 2 oz of chocolate wheat. Very little roastiness at all in my beer and I had the specialty grains in for the full mash. If you are concerned about roastiness, do a late addition with the darker malts, say with 10 minutes left in the mash. You'll get all the color and virtually no roastiness. I fermented mine pretty cool to suppress the banana flavor some. I'm 60 days post brew and it's got a very slight banana bread flavor. The clove flavor is much stronger. Brewers friend estimated the SRM of my beer at 16.58. Here's a pic for reference.

IMG_4163.jpg

If you go 60-70% wheat and 30-40% German Dark Munich 10L, it will have the right flavor profile and srm for dunkelweizen. If you really want it darker you can add a % or two of debittered roast, but imho its not needed.

I made my last dunkelweizen with smoked malt, so it became a rauchdunkelweizen? Not to style obviously, but its really good.

Grain bill was:

51.5% Red Wheat
39.6% Smoked malt (weyermann)
5% CaraAroma 130L
2.4% CaraMunich 60L
1.6% Pale Chocolate

OG: 1.054
FG: 1.009

WLP300 for yeast, pitched at 62F then brought up to 68F over 3 days.

This is my recipe. Nice touch of roast. Last batch I added .25# Roasted Barley (to mash) and 2 vanilla beans at end of fermentation. Stlll in fermenter but taste sample is really good.
5# Pilsen
5# White Wheat
1# Chocolate Malt
1# CaraWheat
.5# Flakes oats
.75 oz Nugget @ 60 (What I had in the freezer)
1pk US 05
Mash @ 152
Boil 90 minutes.
OG 1.052
FG 1.010
ABV 5.6%

My DW recipe calls for 6lb 2 row 4lb wheat 8oz caramunich 3 (60 to 70 L) and 4oz pale chocolate. Pilsner could easily sub for 2 row. The srm is 18 to 20, but the color all comes from the cm3 and pc. If I wanted less roast malt taste, i would just cut those specialty malts by a third or a half. This is for 5G at about 5% abv.

My go-to recipe every year is 5.5 lbs Munich (not the dark 10 L stuff), 5.5 lbs dark wheat and, at the end of the mash, stir in 2 oz of dehusked Carafa III to add a little more color. I don't have a photo, but it's a beautiful copper amber color.

For those who mention 'dark wheat, can you clarify? I have seen white wheat and red wheat offered, but never defined as either light or dark. Red, of course, has the darker husk. Does 'dark mean 'red'?

Looking to make this but doing a slightly higher than half bill of dark wheat and then filling it out with pilsner and munich nets me too low of an SRM for the style. Both dark wheat and munich are about 9 SRM. Even if I go with Munich 20L, I can't hit the style marker.

Is Carawheat (Weyermann) used a lot? I'm not looking to do chocolate wheat as I don't think I want that roastiness in it.

To your original Q, you can add really dark stuff right at the end of the mash or steep dark stuff in the wort before the boil. That'll give you color and no flavor contributions. Dehusked Carafa III is my favorite for this trick.

Ended up doing just 5oz of chocolate wheat. That got me on the low end of the spectrum and I boiled for 75 for the maillard reaction as well as pils diacetyl avoidance.

I'll try to update with a taste profile when it's good to go.
Thanks all.

Back