Stuck Fermentation!? Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_dirtbag

Reaction score
Okay, so I know there are a lot of these threads but I didn't really find an answer to my questions in them, so here it goes... I brewed my first big beer a week ans a half ago, an imperial black Ipa with an og of 1.108. I used a liter yeast starter with white labs super high gravity yeast, added wyeast nutrient and aerated with a wand and fish pump for 30 minutes. It took about 24hours at about 70 degrees to really get going and then fermented vigorously for about another 24 hours, maybe a bit longer, and then stopped almost completely after about 4 days, I took a gravity reading and it was at 1.050, I shook it up and have been shaking it a few times a day since then. I just took another reading, after a week, just to see where it was at, and it was still at 1050!? Just wondering what I should do or if anyone has any tips? Should I make another starter with another vial of super high gravity yeast or does it just need more time? Here's my exact recipe:
http://hopville.com/recipe/1100356/imperial-ipa-recipes/imperial-iba

It appears you're doing everything right here depending on your starter. Was there a temperature fluctuation during fermentation? What is the temperature at now? Maybe raise the temperature? MrMalty says you do need a simple starter of 3.29 liters for 5 gallons if you used one vial with a stirplate, Kinda depends what your starter was like.

not the first time i've heard of the SD super yeast not living up to it's name. it sounds like you're about 11 days into this fermentation? and it's been stuck at 1.05 for a week of that time? was this an extract, PM or AG batch? can you post the recipe and process? maybe that'll help us figure something out.

@Colobrewer
The temperature is currently at 71, and its been there for most of the time. I did have slight drop in temperature, down to about 65, for a little less than a day at about the time fermentation stopped. however it is now at a steady 71. My starter was only 1 liter without a stir plate, so i suppose that could be the issue. Would making a new bigger, 3ish liter starter be enough?

@Nordeastbrewer77
That is correct 11days in, stuck at 1.050 for a week of that. This was an extract batch using 8lbs williams american light and 6lbs williams pale ale extract. here is my exact recipe on hopville: http://hopville.com/recipe/1100356/imperial-ipa-recipes/imperial-iba

@

Bump...
Its been over two weeks, gravity did get down to about 1.047, I also added a 3 liter yeast starter with two packets of dry yeast about a day ago 2/12/12, Still hardly any activity however. Also, what do people think of this... http://www.brewingkb.com/mead/Stuck-Fermentation-A-lesson-learned-3164.html i took the ph of my beer, it is about 4.0 (the ph strips i used were not super accurate) could this be my issue? is my beer to acidic?

Back