Stir plate not working.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFeltimo

Reaction score
I had built a stir plate many moons ago, design based of internet searches and HBT.
This little diddy worked wonders and never had to worry.
However this past weekend i made my starter and fired the old girl up, it spun, but kept throwing my stir bar off the magnet, hours i tried to get it to work but alas, no go.
Any thoughts on what could have happened?

Computer Fan; 110 volts with speed controller
Rare earth magnet
2L earlymyer flask
1 inch stir bar. I also tried with different sized bars. 1/4 inch to 2 inch with every size in between.

Nothing has changed in the set up.

Thanks
Dan

Usually the speed is too fast or the surface isn't flat, but it seems like you have both of those covered. One of my homemade plates only works if I fit an o-ring over the bar to act as a fulcrum, you may wanna give that a shot (btw, I have to do this for the plate that doesn't have a speed controller, I'm assuming you've already tried at the lowest setting). Best of luck.

Thanks for the reply.
My speed setting is usually set to slow, but have tried differently.
Also the bars i have, have the center raised pivot point built in..

I did not build my stir plate, it's a "Stir Starter"-practically identical to the DIY ones. That being said, I've run into the same issue with mine. I can only stir at very low speeds, and with the clumpier English strains the magnet will often get bogged down. If I try to go faster, it throws the magnet. I'm getting ready to upgrade-it seems pointless to compute cell counts but not have a reliable stir plate. This is the model I'm looking at:

http://www.brewinternational.com/magnetic-stir-plate/

Wish I had a better solution for you...

The one thing i might have to consider is getting a bigger magnet, maybe this will help hold the bar in place.
it still don't answer WHY it not longer works correctly.

I did not build my stir plate, it's a "Stir Starter"-practically identical to the DIY ones. That being said, I've run into the same issue with mine. I can only stir at very low speeds, and with the clumpier English strains the magnet will often get bogged down. If I try to go faster, it throws the magnet. I'm getting ready to upgrade-it seems pointless to compute cell counts but not have a reliable stir plate. This is the model I'm looking at:

http://www.brewinternational.com/magnetic-stir-plate/

Wish I had a better solution for you...

Before you buy the next stir plate, take a good look at the research done by WoodlandBrews on yeast propagation. http://www.woodlandbrew.com/2015/02/yeast-starters-stirred-vs-not.html

I had the same problem with mine. The magnet on the computer fan needs to be the right distance from the stir bar. I had to make some spacers for mine to get it just right.

I've just fitted a more powerful magnet and are using a larger stir bar.
Seams to be working for now.
I simply don't know why the original set up all of a sudden stop working.
Most annoying.

Back