Starting 1st mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Making 6 gallons, do I need more than one yeast pack?

Following a recipe from this site, have to find the yeast.

Recipe from national brewer site 18 pounds for 6 gallons. I remembered wrong.

Will be using honey from the bee keeper, does that make a difference?

Used 2 gallons of raw honey in the 6.25 gallon batch, 29 May. Gravity at start was 1.122 and ending at 1.040 which was steady for 2 weeks. ABV indicated 10.76%. Bottled today along with taste test. Was good but couldn't note any alcohol content. Not sure why.

Used 2 gallons of raw honey in the 6.25 gallon batch, 29 May. Gravity at start was 1.122 and ending at 1.040 which was steady for 2 weeks. ABV indicated 10.76%. Bottled today along with taste test. Was good but couldn't note any alcohol content. Not sure why.
Sounds like you properly fermented. I've noticed with many things I've brewed if it was a clean fermentation, alcohol is barely noticeable even with 14, 16, or 18% brews.

I gave my Hard Lemonade recipe to my LHBS shop. Those guys brewed a 20% version. Zero detected alcohol. Kinda dangerous!

Tasted yesterday, too sweet. Thinking about trying some fruit flavors to help each glass. Any suggestions?

Back