Spartanburg "Challenger VI "Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giraffeman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was given a Spartanburg "Challenger VI" keg with the one stainless handle , but it had no dip tubes (post or gas).
I need some help in determining the size of the tubes so I can order replacements.
The liquid side is a straight one but the length is what I question. From looking around I see all different sizes for the 5 gal Kegs.
Does anyone have one of these kegs and know what size they are ?
I took a quick measurement with a tape measure and it looks like 23" to the top of the lid, but the posts are lower and there is no way to get a exact measurement.
Also with or without "Ears" , does that matter? and is the gas side any thing special or can i just cut down a liquid side, (found a 14' one for $0.99).
Any information will be a big help

I was given a Spartanburg "Challenger VI" keg with the one stainless handle , but it had no dip tubes (post or gas).
I need some help in determining the size of the tubes so I can order replacements.
The liquid side is a straight one but the length is what I question. From looking around I see all different sizes for the 5 gal Kegs.
Does anyone have one of these kegs and know what size they are ?
I took a quick measurement with a tape measure and it looks like 23" to the top of the lid, but the posts are lower and there is no way to get a exact measurement.
Also with or without "Ears" , does that matter? and is the gas side any thing special or can i just cut down a liquid side, (found a 14' one for $0.99).
Any information will be a big help

I have a challenger VI keg with straight liquid diptube. Diptube is 22 1/4" long. My keg has rubber top though, not the metal handle.

Note that the posts have an odd thread - posts from cornelius kegs won't screw onto the Firestone Challenger VI keg. I'm sure that's true for one of them, might be true for both. I used a blue sharpie to color mine so I don't get them mixed in with the other posts (I have 10 kegs and often soak the posts/poppets together when cleaning).

Gas side has a thinner red plastic dip tube - liquid tube will NOT fit into it.

I'd love to get rid of this damned keg! It works fine, but I hate that it's not compatible with my others.

fwiw, if you have trouble finding parts you can get everything needed to rebuild Challenger V and VI kegs at chicompany.net.
Posts are here, plastic gas tube is here, long/straight out tube is here.

I happen to like those particular posts for using on the gas feeds on my fridges and keezers as they're the lowest profile posts of any style I've seen...

Cheers!

Thanks everyone for the info.
Tobor_8thMan if you could check the one you have just to confirm the size it would be greatly appreciated.

From what i'm finding the chicompany lists the beer out tube as 22" .
passedpawn has it at 22 1/4" and based on you other information I guess that's why I got this one for free.

and keg outlet has it listed as 22 3/4" the 1/4" difference is not a big deal to me if it sits up off the bottom a bit, but at 3/4" that would be a bit too much beer left in the keg.
For the gas side I was able to find a SS replacement for the Plastic one https://www.homebrewing.org/Firestone-Gas-Dip-Tube-New_p_7517.html so that will work.

Thanks everyone for the info.
Tobor_8thMan if you could check the one you have just to confirm the size it would be greatly appreciated.

From what i'm finding the chicompany lists the beer out tube as 22" .
passedpawn has it at 22 1/4" and based on you other information I guess that's why I got this one for free.

and keg outlet has it listed as 22 3/4" the 1/4" difference is not a big deal to me if it sits up off the bottom a bit, but at 3/4" that would be a bit too much beer left in the keg.
For the gas side I was able to find a SS replacement for the Plastic one https://www.homebrewing.org/Firestone-Gas-Dip-Tube-New_p_7517.html so that will work.

That 22 1/4" was total length. It's possible they are not including the flare in their measurement.

I have the dip tubes in hand. The gas dip tube is tapered as the post in the keg isn't straight thru, hence the taper toward the top.

The gas dip tube is nylon. 1 3/16" top to bottom. Nylon will retain smells of prior occupants of the keg. Not a problem with beer. If the keg contained soda in a prior life, then get a new gas dip tube.

Beer dip tube is straight. The beer dip tube is stainless. 22 5/16" top to bottom.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back