Sous vide temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc1

Reaction score
I have a cool basement - a bucket of water sitting on the floor will stay 60-62F year round. I've been using this to my advantage to keep fermentation temperatures down by putting my fermentation bucket in a giant plastic tub filled with water. That kept things cool, but left me unable to bring temperatures up to the mid 60s.

However, my sous vide cooker fits on the edge of the bucket, and them temp settings on it can be set down that low, so I've been testing it out as a heater for the water bath surrounding the beer. It works great!

My digital thermometer reads about 1 degree F higher than the cooker at these temps. I'm not sure which one is right, but it doesn't really matter because they are both pretty consistent with the measurements, and I'm OK with not knowing if the temp is really 62 or 63F. I'm excited that I can ramp temperatures up now after a few days to help the yeast attenuate.

I've popped the top of the bucket off when the yeast were fermenting like crazy, and the temp inside the bucket was the same as the outside water.

Sous vide cookers are pricey, and it probably isn't worth getting one just for this, but if you have been looking at them and need an excuse to get one... well... go for it! The meat you cook with them is amazing.

20160523_213523.jpg

20160523_213551.jpg

I've been doing the opposite, repurposing my STC1000+ for doing stupidly fast grilling sous vide burgers. Takes the stress out of grill day.

Back