Souring a Finished Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saboral

Reaction score
One of our club members has a banana bread amber beer that turned out poorly. It's under attenuated and has a bit of a funk.

He doesn't want to dump it so I've considered the possibility of him souring it to potentially have some Brett or Pedio sour and clean it up.

He already tried repitching the original yeast and while they were active for about another day, no luck in cleaning it up.

So how should he go about this? Being that it's a finished, uncarbed beer I was of the mind that he make a sour mash and add that with some Brett/Pedio to the original beer. Thoughts? I will try to get his current gravity info today.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Brett can ferment more complex sugars than regular yeast. I know many people will add Brett when they transfer to a secondary when primary fermentation is pretty much over. So as long as he pitches a healthy amount, just have him toss it in.

Latest posts

Back