Sound of CO2 when taking a pull off the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkrausen

Reaction score
So I searched for this but either my search skills are lacking or no one has had this issue. I'm sure it's the former. So, you know the sound of CO2 filling the head space of the keg when you first hook it up to the CO2 tank? Every time I take a pour off one of my taps I hear that sound for a short period. I have three kegs hooked up to my four way manifold and I don't recall hearing that sound when I pour off one of the others. I took a spray bottle with some starsan and hit the usual suspects but didn't see any bubbles. I haven't noticed my tank losing gas abnormally fast though. Has anyone else encountered this or have any suggestions?

Been around regulators/spray rigs/pressure pots for 30+ years--sometimes you get a creaking door sound, sometimes a hiss, sometimes a gurgle-at the main tank, or the reg, or downstream---but it you aren't losing gas I wouldn't worry about it.

I think it's gremlins personally. Make sure you don't ever let 'em out!

Yeah maybe I need to pay more attention. I just don't recall hearing it before. I'll suppress the paranoia.

In the interest of science, and in the happy fact its about 76 degrees outside and pleasant in the garage bare footed, I drew a little off each of my two kegs I have going right now--one a slow hiss--the other silence. I think amount of empty space may play into equation--but purely a guess. Co2 still at 850lbs so I ain't worrying.

[...]I think amount of empty space may play into equation--but purely a guess.[...]

No guess, totally fact. Head space volume is hugely important wrt to this phenomenon, as it takes a pressure drop to get the regulator to respond, and the drop in the head space pressure of a freshly filled corney is huge compared to the drop when you're pouring the penultimate pint...

Cheers!

Okay that makes complete sense then. It is a fresh keg as I just started carbing it up two weeks ago and am just now tapping into it. Thanks for the insight. At least I can confirm that I'm not totally crazy.

I'm fairly new to the world of Kegerators and I just cleaned my lines for the first time. Having reassembled the lines, faucet, etc. I'm hearing a hissing sound when I draw from the tap. Having read through some of the responses here I wouldn't be concerned except that the beer is really foamy. I had solved my foamy beer problem with the copper pipe in the tower method. But now it's back. I was pretty careful reassembling everything so before taking everything apart again, I though l'd ask here for ideas.

ETA: the new keg is commercial and obviously fully carbed.

No guess, totally fact. Head space volume is hugely important wrt to this phenomenon, as it takes a pressure drop to get the regulator to respond, and the drop in the head space pressure of a freshly filled corney is huge compared to the drop when you're pouring the penultimate pint...

Cheers!

Crap, my keg had been hissing and the last few pints have no hiss. That means my keg is dying...why do they do this? Like a puppy to a dog to a daisy, I guess its part of life. Oh, I wish the keg was still hissing and had puppy breath.

[...]Having reassembled the lines, faucet, etc. I'm hearing a hissing sound when I draw from the tap.[...]

Hissing out of the faucet [edit - if that's what's going on] is almost surely the result of your CO2 taking a short-cut through your keg coupler to the beer line. There's at least one o-ring in the coupler with the task of keeping the gas connection isolated from the beer connection. You'll need to pull the coupler and check out the o-rings.

[and continuing the edit] If it's just hissing in the system, and you served that same keg without issue before the cleaning, the foam may be due to the keg having warmed up while you were busy, and has nothing to do with the noise. Perhaps giving it a day or so to cool back down will resolve the foam...

Cheers!

Jkendrick , im just getting into home brewing and dont currently have a kegerator but i did have one for a few years in college (a long time ago). When i took it apart for the first time for a good cleaning I apparently scolded my lines by using water that was too hot to clean with. I think i boiled the water than through the hose in. When i put it back together i got some air and massive foam. Using water thats too hot creates a bunch of small bumps on the inside of the hose line, which makes the beer fall over itself or something. I did not see any difference in the line . I had no idea what happened till i went and described the problem to someone a week later who was knowledgable with kegerators. I just replaced the hose and made sure not to use water that was too hot. I figured id add this to the possible problems since you mentioned it was ur first cleaning, which is when learned of this.

I figured it out. When I reattached the faucet to the tower the line inside the tower twisted and that kink caused a tiny leak (hence the hissing) and caused the foaming. I straightened it and it now pours perfectly, no hiss.

Thanks to all who offered help. I'll also keep in mind not to use water that is too hot. We have really hot tap water so that could be an issue. Thanks and cheers!

Back