Sippin' tequila

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just like Bourbon you can spend lots of money on a bottle of Tequila. Some great and some no better than Cuervo Gold. For a good 100% Agave Tequila that is very affordable I enjoy 100 Años.

Oh, I can't do tequila anymore. All through high school I was a tequila shooter. I loved the stuff. In Army jump school I had a bad experience with tequila and cherries. I had been without a drink for 13 weeks and my first evening pass I went to the EM club and started shooting tequila. The waitress was flirting with me by putting cherries in my shots. I'd eat the cherry and shoot the shot. Later that night, in the barracks, I puked so bad. I puked all over the guy in the lower bunk and he almost killed drunk me before my squad leader burst in to rescue me. It was the worst drunk and worst night of my life! Now, thirty years later I still can't even stand the smell of cherries or tequila. At a local liquor store they were recently giving samples of some really fine tequilas. I figured I would try one. I couldn't even get it past my nose.

Cabo wabo is a nice tequila to sip on. Has some citrus to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Jose Cuervo?? It's crap compared to many tequilas made in Jalisco , Mexico. A friend at work turned me on to Campo Azul and it's so frickin smooth. I don't know if you can get it in the US or not.

image.jpg

I enjoy Petron silver, smooth and delicious I could drink it all night.

When I make margaritas I usually use something cheaper since I'll be mixing it and the flavor will be changed and not as important.

My "staple" tequila is Don Julio anejo. It's relative easy to find and consistently better than most of the things sitting on the shelf with it. It makes Patron taste like Cuervo.

If you want to go a little more exotic, there's a fantastic tequila called Riazul. It's not easy to find but worth the search.

I rarely drink liqueur, but this is a very good smooth clear taquila and is fairly inexpensive. $35-$45 a bottle

image.jpg

Sauza Hornitos "Black Barrel" Anejo took best of show at the Denver Int'l Spirits Competition and is very tasty, under $40. It's got strong influence from the wood and has some whiskey-esque caramel and wood sugars notes.

I also am enjoying 901 Blanco at the moment.

The Sauvecito brand blanco and anejo are wonderful with lots of agave notes. I think they backsweeten with nectar after distillation.

Don Julio Reposado or Anejo would always be brought back across the border when I went there. I know you can buy them here easily too for a little more coin.

As an experiment, last year I bought a 1.5L bottle of cheaper, off brand Blanco that was 100% Agave. I added 9 toasted oak cubes to it and let it sit for 4 months. Ended up being plenty smooth enough to bring to our beach house rental in Texas, and was a big hit in margaritas and by shots. Not quite the same thing as the Don Julio I will admit, but far improved from what was initially in the bottle.

I have another 750 that has 6 oak cubes sitting in it right now. Its been in my cabinet for 8 months, and there it will sit for a number of years.

My parent's brought me back a bottle of Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia. It's like velvet when you drink it...like a good scotch. It's about 120$ a bottle, but well worth it!

I like Patron and 1800. 1800 is cheaper, but still decent....Patron is very smooth. Both have good flavor. I drink my Tequila neat. Both are 100% agave. Whatever you buy, make sure it is 100% agave, not "made with agave".

My parent's brought me back a bottle of Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia. It's like velvet when you drink it...like a good scotch. It's about 120$ a bottle, but well worth it!

you have very nice parents. :mug:

Now this is right up my alley. Beer and Tequila is what I drink. Lot’s of people knocking my childhood favorite, Cuervo. I can't tell you how many bottles of 1800 I put away. There's many levels of Tequila including Cuervo.

Now when you are talking GREAT Tequila you are def talking family Res Cuervo. I LOVE this stuff. 30 yr old and 10 year old blended together after sitting in American and French oak. It's so dam good they put it in hand painted boxes.

I have 2 more 2009's and 3 2012's left. When they're gone I'll hunt up more. YES it's that good.

Lots of other good Tequila’s out there. Also lots of **** they try to pass off as good.

Good sippers
Blanco
Anejo
Suerte
In the bar that only has 3 kinds of tequila, Patron will do

I found Revolucion tequila in Mexico, and it is by far the best tequila I have ever had. Smooth and an easy sipper or shooter. Cool bottle as well.

I love this! Its not an "Every Day" Sipper but the Oak comes through very nicely and is well worth the $$ IMHO. I do admit I was drawn to the bottle, torn by the price but nicely surprised by its contents!

Cheers
Jay

IMG_20140522_231814_846.jpg

Don Julio Reposado and Patron Anejo are my 1 and 2 respectively.

For making Margaritas (I know...off topic from the original intent of this thread) I use Sauza Hornitos. I make manly on the rocks Margaritas...not the frozen phoo phoo ones.

My favorite tequila is Corralejo Reposado but I also like the 1800 Reposado a lot too. Corralejo is by far my favorite though. I want to try their more expensive bottles but it is hard to come by a lot of the expensive bottles here in Utah. I went to a Total Wine store in Arizona a few months ago and was awestruck by the variety of all kinds of liquor, beer, and wine available. Most of our liquor stores are about the size of a large-ish convenience store.

Don Julio Reposado and Patron Anejo are my 1 and 2 respectively.

For making Margaritas (I know...off topic from the original intent of this thread) I use Sauza Hornitos. I make manly on the rocks Margaritas...not the frozen phoo phoo ones.

Ohh man for Margaritas.... Well this is my recipe. Mix all contents (except the SALT) in a 5 gallon keg 5 days before the party! Carbonate at 30 PSI for the entire 5 days. Mix it well a few times throughout the week and ENJOY! Serve over ice with salted rim straight from the tap!

Cheers
Jay

IMG_20130704_131128_490.jpg

Ohh man for Margaritas.... Well this is my recipe. Mix all contents (except the SALT) in a 5 gallon keg 5 days before the party! Carbonate at 30 PSI for the entire 5 days. Mix it well a few times throughout the week and ENJOY! Serve over ice with salted rim straight from the tap!

Cheers
Jay

So... How is/was the Kirkland brand tequila?

This is a must try IMHO. Its not a deal breaker with the SWMBO at $40 a bottle and as a sipper it is my go to bottle!

D Los Altos. I have had the Reposado but prefer the Anejo as a sipping Tequila. It tastes like your drinking a Margarita on its own! Slightly sweet but very salty!

IMG_20140523_214138_684.jpg

Corralejo is by far my favorite though. I want to try their more expensive bottles but it is hard to come by a lot of the expensive bottles here in Utah.

The blue bottle Reposado is very good. The red bottle Anjeo is even better.

Don't see it often, but Corralejo is good stuff.

My "staple" tequila is Don Julio anejo. It's relative easy to find and consistently better than most of the things sitting on the shelf with it. It makes Patron taste like Cuervo.

yep. don julio. anejo or reposado

to quote robert forster (in jackie brown): they're pretty good!

Don Julio is pretty good. I personally really like Hornitos Añejo. Because it's made by Casa Sauza, it's pretty easy to find and very very tasty. I'm personally not a fan of Sauza, but I love Hornitos.

Don Julio is pretty good. I personally really like Hornitos Añejo. Because it's made by Casa Sauza, it's pretty easy to find and very very tasty. I'm personally not a fan of Sauza, but I love Hornitos.

I recommend again the Hornitos black barrel. Very wood influenced, a "whisky" esque tequila. Won the Denver Int'l Spirits Competition and was the highest overall score, I think. Cheap, too 35 or less.

I recommend again the Hornitos black barrel. Very wood influenced, a "whisky" esque tequila. Won the Denver Int'l Spirits Competition and was the highest overall score, I think. Cheap, too 35 or less.

I've never bought a bottle of the black barrel (I think I've only seen it once in stores), but I had a glass of it at a friend's house a while back. Pretty damn good stuff. I believe the whiskey-esque flavor is because they age the tequila in used bourbon barrels.

tequila sipper? isn't that an oxymoron. All I get from straight tequila is an instant gag reflex.

Maybe in your book. But that can be turned the opposite way. Some people get an instant gag reflex from beer (or whiskey or wine or rum or anything, really).

Then again, there are a lot of people who prefer tequila over beer. So obviously they don't feel the same as you. And obviously no one else in this thread feels the same as you since you're the only one coming in and saying "Everything mentioned in this thread is disgusting. You guys are all crazy." :cross:

Back