Replacing the low pressure gauge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swmalone

Reaction score
I have a question regarding the low pressure gauge on my CO2 regulator. I ended up with a regulator that was originally set up for dispensing soda. The low pressure gauge measures 0-160 psi. I wanted to replace this gauge but when I asked the guy at Airgas he told me that I couldn't put a lower pressure gauge because it wouldn't work with the internal set-up of the regulator. This was without even looking at the regulator. This made absolutely no sense to me. It seems like I should be able to put on a 0-60 psi gauge and have no issues since that outlet pressure is adjustable.

I just thought I would see what kind of input all of you have.

Thanks.

I think, what he is saying is that the guage is matched to the regulator upper limit. Thus, IF, the regulator does ever get cranked up beyond the 60psi max you are considering, you would just wreck the guage.

However, if that doesn't happen you should be fine.

I don't know if the regulators are different. But if a beer one goes from 0-60 and yours goes from 0-160 trying to adjust to between 8-12 might be impossible, even if the gauge registers it. In other words a minuscule adjustment on the regulator might jump the psi from 10 to 100.

But the gauge should read the right psi.

I don't know if the regulators are different. But if a beer one goes from 0-60 and yours goes from 0-160 trying to adjust to between 8-12 might be impossible, even if the gauge registers it. In other words a minuscule adjustment on the regulator might jump the psi from 10 to 100.

But the gauge should read the right psi.

I never thought of that. My thought is I could replace the gauge for a few dollars and if the worst I have to worry about is it not reading correctly it is worth the few dollars to check it out. If it is a complete fail then I can look at getting a different regulator.

Thanks for the assistance.

Latest posts

Back