Reliable Smoking Thermometers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coontail

Reaction score
Looking to get a new thermometer since my Walmart one is getting off readings now. The wireless one's seem like a great idea but reviews are mixed.

What are some good Thermometers?

The Thermoworks are great. The Thermopen is an industry (and amateur) standard.
I use the RT600, fast enough and accurate enough for my use - smoking, BBQ and regular cooking.

Whatever you do, don’t buy an igrill. Was so excited to get that last year and the Bluetooth barely runs 15’ before it’s out of range.

I bought a Thermoworks 'Smoke' unit and I love that thing, I really like how the 'pit' probe clips on to the grill grate of my Weber charcoal grill.

Thermoworks are top notch but a bit pricey. I have a Maverick wireless (older model) and it works fine. The newer models are supposed to have better range.
The Inkbird one looks nice as well. Don't have one so cannot comment on how the BT/Wireless works.
I also have a cheaper BT thermometer that I got from Amazon. It's not an Inkbird and I can say it is junk.
Reviews on the Inkbird are positive. I would give that one a try. If i were in the market for another BT thermometer i would give Inkbird a try.

Lol hurts my wallet to say this but im probably gonna go with thermoworks smoke
Look at getting the waterproof needle probe too. I use it for my chefalarm to monitor strike water, mash, and boil temps. I can just toss it in since its waterproof. Low alarm works great for chilling too.

Man this threads been getting whole lot of attention! I had ended up getting the igrill and it's been pretty good but as ehk089 said, the range is really short

Next thing will be to get a new smoker eventually

All I know is that I've got a couple racks of back ribs in the freezer calling to me and it's still too cold out to fire up the kettle grill... Global warming my a$$...

Whatever you do, don’t buy an igrill. Was so excited to get that last year and the Bluetooth barely runs 15’ before it’s out of range.

I have one of the igrill2’s and have to say its pretty damn solid. BBQ on the deck I can walk around the same story with no issues. 30-40ft woth a few walls in between. Only have a problem when I go to the far side of the next level.
Biggest complaint is lack of range and the settings are all pretty similar

Yeah I’ve never gotten good range from my igrill...use my cheap $15 maverick from Home Depot more often.

Latest posts

Back