Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jloewe

Reaction score
I’m thinking of getting one of these fancy mash and boil kits. Probably looking at the mashfiest on Amazon, possibly the digiboil on Moorebeer or even the Anvil foundary. But having trouble justifying a $200-$350 purchase for a single use toy I only use a couple times a year. What else can I do with these? Will these make massive soup and chili recipes? Or will that be too hard to clean?

I'll be taking my electric keggle outside sometime this summer to kill weeds with boiling water... an all in one unit would be marginally easier to handle.
Apart from that, the real question you might want to ask yourself is: "what equipment do I have and am I happy with it?"

I'll be taking my electric keggle outside sometime this summer to kill weeds with boiling water... an all in one unit would be marginally easier to handle.
Apart from that, the real question you might want to ask yourself is: "what equipment do I have and am I happy with it?"
Well today I busted open my BIAB grains in my mini 4 gallon kettle on an induction plate that struggles to do just 3 gallons of wort on my partial. So I feel like an upgrade is in order since I made such a glorious mess of things. I just really love getting my monies worth when I can.

Why do you only brew a couple of times a year? Maybe with a system that makes brewing easier you'll find yourself doing it more often.

I brew almost every weekend, small batches, and the electric system I built has more than paid for itself in convenience, beer to drink, and the pure enjoyment I get from using it.

Why do you only brew a couple of times a year? Maybe with a system that makes brewing easier you'll find yourself doing it more often.

I brew almost every weekend, small batches, and the electric system I built has more than paid for itself in convenience, beer to drink, and the pure enjoyment I get from using it.
I should rephrase that. Probably about 5-6 times a year. Because I try to keep healthy I actually don’t use enough of my product to brew more. But I’ve started a lot of cooking with beer and I do enjoy it. I’ve thought of doing a lot more small batches.

Oh and I was also in a unique situation with in-laws staying at my apartment so I brewed at my parents house. Now I just bought my own house so I have the extra space. I’ll probably brew more now.

That makes total sense! I think small batches might fit your brewing style really well. I brew 2.5 gallons at a time which gives me about 24 12oz bottles. I'm mostly the only one drinking my beer so 45-50 bottles is honestly too much.

That makes total sense! I think small batches might fit your brewing style really well. I brew 2.5 gallons at a time which gives me about 24 12oz bottles. I'm mostly the only one drinking my beer so 45-50 bottles is honestly too much.
Also got to thinking I smoke a fair amount of meat. Would it hurt my brewing at all if I saves bones in the freezer then made like 5+ gallons of stock for soups? I just like the idea of saving and getting my full investment out of everything. I ran out of time so I threw it in the freezer but I want to start using spent grain too. Nothing I Iove more than free.

I don't think it would hurt at all as long as you clean the oils and and fats of the kettle really well.

Looking and so far I love the Anvil feel like it’s that perfect medium between quality and affordability. Just thinking 6.5 or 10? I got time to waffle on that with 5 gallons of stout in the fermenter though.

If you’re going to make 5 gallon batches I’d get the 10. When I started my 7gal turkey fryer pot was filled almost to the rim doing a full volume boil for a 5gallon brew.
Yeah still on the fence. I’m really leaning towards the smaller unit. Call me weird but I personally love the idea of partial mash for the full volume and high gravity. I know some people will say “well what’s the point” except I feel like I get best of both worlds. Throw in 7-8 lbs of grain and then a can of 3.3 at 10min and I’d assume you got yourself a rather decent brew!

My advice is, whatever you get, wait a few more weeks. Many places have seasonal sales (4th of July, Black Friday/CyberMonday, etc). I have the Mash and Boil with Pump setup. It normally goes for $449. I got it for $249.

Also got to thinking I smoke a fair amount of meat. Would it hurt my brewing at all if I saves bones in the freezer then made like 5+ gallons of stock for soups? I just like the idea of saving and getting my full investment out of everything. I ran out of time so I threw it in the freezer but I want to start using spent grain too. Nothing I Iove more than free.
I wouldn’t. Get a nice dutch oven for that. They’re great to have for a number of things. America’s Test Kitchen cooks many recipes in a dutch oven. Very versatile. The best ones are LaCroiset (sp?) can be $400 or more. We went with the $79 Lodge and love it. My wife also likes to use the crock pot to boil bones and make bone broth.

I should rephrase that. Probably about 5-6 times a year. Because I try to keep healthy I actually don’t use enough of my product to brew more. But I’ve started a lot of cooking with beer and I do enjoy it. I’ve thought of doing a lot more small batches.
I have the Anvil 6.5 for exactly that reason. I use it for 3 gallon batches. 3 gallons works out to about 30 bottles. A case plus a 6 pack.

I originally went with 3 gallons because of container and carboy sizes. I can ferment in a 5 gallon carboy and they make 3 gallon carboys for when I want to secondary, settle, or bulk age. I have heard of 2.5 gallon carboys but haven’t seen them commonly available. I also have 3 gallon kegs.

It’s a hassle when I’m doing something I actually want 5 gallons of though. Like a lager for summer. I need to brew twice to fill a 5 gallon carboy or keg.

I brewed 20 batches for 2020, 21 batches for 2021 and I’m 11 in for 2022.

As you said, the 6.5 has an 8lb grain capacity. Thats fine for average strength 5% or so and for session beers, which I’m now doing alot of. You’re not going to be able to do high alcohol 9% or 10% beers. But as you also said, you always have the option to supplement with extract.

The other nice thing is you can do step mashes.

I’d highly recommend adding the pump kit.

One other thing to consider - the 6.5 runs pretty well on 110v. I think if you get the 10 you will want or even need a 220v outlet. Or it will be much slower to heat and your brew day will be longer.

Last edited:
Well today I busted open my BIAB grains in my mini 4 gallon kettle on an induction plate that struggles to do just 3 gallons of wort on my partial. So I feel like an upgrade is in order since I made such a glorious mess of things. I just really love getting my monies worth when I can.

I'm curious as to what induction plate you are using, since I've been considering getting one (and my electric, glass stovetop is useless for cooking much of anything).

I'm curious as to what induction plate you are using, since I've been considering getting one (and my electric, glass stovetop is useless for cooking much of anything).
Not sure. Some super cheap one on Amazon. I actually use it for all sorts of things. We broke a burner in the stove at our old apartment so it was an extra burner as well as a brew top. I use it to make really hot stuff in the wok as well, and I can plug it in next to my grill if I want to stir fry some veggies while I’m cooking outdoors. I bought it “used” which on Amazon means new but someone returned it. I’ve bought many used products in Amazon every one of them worked right away and other than the struggle of a boil this last week this and everything have worked flawlessly. It always comes with the plastic still on too.

Back