Question on finings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With my latest LODO beer (Festbier), I added Gelatin finings. However, it was added while yeast was still active, added at the time the beer was moved into the keg for spunding at around 46F. The water was pre-boiled before use, gelatin added once cooled to around 170-180F and added carefully into a keg and then purged a few times with CO before the beer was transferred. It has been a few days now, it seems like it may be fully carb’d and ready for the drop down to 30F for a few weeks. Gelatin had no negative effects on the yeast for finishing the carbonation of the beer the last few points.

I will be curious how the end result will be… Sure, it may not be needed, but it is just a test to see how effective it is or is not. If not super-dooper brilliant by the time I tap it, I won’t do it going forward.

I am no longer using any finings. Instead I try things upstream, Brewtan B in the mash and Polyclar Brewbrite with a small amount of protfloc in the kettle. I am amazed at how clear the wort is going into ferment. Of course its no indication of how clear the beer/lager will end up, but its a pleasant feeling. I will say that the beer/lager is not quite as clear as one that has been fined, but its good enough. I suspect that it would take longer, possibly several months to get it really crystal clear? Who can say?

Last edited:
Back