Question for those who use sous vide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enkamania

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone uses a large pot (15 gal) All the pictures I found on my google were pots almost filled to the top. My water level would be about 8 or 9" from the top.

Thanks

I never use the clamp that came with it, I use zipties. One strapped around the unit right above where the sleeve connects with a couple looped zipties in it and then a couple more to attach to the handle of the kettle. Im only using a 5.5g pot tho, it would probably be a huge nest to make it work with a 15g.

Can someone explain how this works? Do you just use it to maintain a mash temp? I would assume it can’t boil?

The biggest limitation I've found with using my Anova is that there is a narrow range when it comes to water amount. The total mash volume has to fit between the min and max lines on the Anova. For different batch sizes, I have to use different kettle sizes.

Can someone explain how this works? Do you just use it to maintain a mash temp? I would assume it can’t boil?
I mostly use it to maintain mash temp. It's also very handy for step mashing. I make small batches, and my Anova is powerful enough to heat the mash for that purpose (though it does take a while). It maxes out at about 190F, I think.

I suppose boiling would depend on the unit. With that said one can brew without boiling. I just exbeerimented using sous vide to mash a partigyle and then I jacked up the temp to 180 for an hour also used a little more hops than I would conventionally. This one is still in the fermenter. Electric systems such as Pico brew doesn’t boil so it seemed like something viable to test out.

I should really give it a shot sometime and see just how hot it'll get. I'd like to try a sub-boil boil, if I can. I guess I'd need to use a hop bag, though, so the hops wouldn't stick to the heating element. Hoppy, did your element get gummed up at all?

Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone uses a large pot (15 gal) All the pictures I found on my google were pots almost filled to the top. My water level would be about 8 or 9" from the top.

Thanks
Sorry... misunderstood the question and answered a different one, don't know how to delete so I am just trying to save face by replacing it with this lame apology

Last edited:
I stopped using mine because I switched to a larger unit and didn't want to mess with DIYing a solution for getting it down into the wort in smaller batches.

I've considered using one for mashing, but it seems like you'd have problems with stratification. Is there any way to make it draw off the bottom and return to the top? If you're using it to control mash temps, have you tried measuring temps and different areas of the mash to see if the temp is consistent throughout the mash?

Back