Pump Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeHeavy

Reaction score
I have a March 809 Magnetic Impeller Pump mounted under my brew stand and connected to my mashtun just like you see in all the photos people post.

My problem is I have the worst time getting the air to purge out of the lines and start pumping. The air gets as far as the pump and it stops pumping. I have to turn it on and off several times before it catches and starts pumping.

Should the pump be mounted in a certain way or am I missing something?

The problem you have is the same as most systems, there is an air bubble trapped in the pickup tube from the false bottom. If you vent the air at the high point in the pump inlet plumbing the pump should take off normally.

So true... I've been thinking of drilling and tapping a hole in the top of my quick disconnet to thread a tiny needle valve in just for this purpose. Open the vessel valve, let the liquid flow down and fill the pump inlet, open needle valve to vent air bubble, close, turn pump on.

I cheated on new system, ran a tube through keggle skirt to bottom of keg so bubble escapes under false bottom, capped old outlet of false bottom and retained dip tube to keep false bottom in place. All the tubing grades up from pump suction with no air pockets so there are no more pump priming issues for automation system to deal with.

Back