Primary to Secondary, leftover juice on bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sago

Reaction score
I'm not being cheap but what about the headspace? There's always sediment on the bottom but the juice gets cloudy, like a glass or two when I tip it so I just leave it behind. Every time you rack you always lose some right, should I just top it off with water?

These sort of losses happen all the time when you rack from one vessel to to another. Just remember that you are leaving behind all of the things that would make an unattractive glass of wine. Most folks learn to either Rack to another vessel that is slightly smaller, or displace the air with something like a gas or A solid sanitized substance that can be dropped into the carboy such as glass beads.

Pour that sediment into a 1/2 gallon jug and place in the fridge, after 2 or 3 days, the wine will surface and sediment will drop to the bottom, you can rack that or pour it off, I've actually "harvested" almost a 1/2 gallon from 13 gallons of wine that i was making.

I like both ideas especially the glass beads. Thank you guys!

I'll have to go shopping and look for some, the sex shop definitely out of the option xD

Marbles should work

Latest posts

Back