Primary Fermemnter Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTD

Reaction score
Noobie question, i have a few 23L (6 gallon) fermenters i use for beer which are now free to use for a while.

can i use one of these for my primary fermenter if i have say 1-2 kg of fruit and 5.5L of water/juice and then syphon 5L out into my 5L demi. would be under 10L line i would think in the fermenter.

Not a fan of oixidised wine, to me it seems it should work but thought i best ask the question first being it will only be half full.

thanks

Hi, I usually use a plastic tank ( food grade) as a primary fermenter and most of the time its only half full or less, I cover it with a piece of clean cloth and keep it in a dark cool place . I never had any problems.

But once the gravity drops close to 1.000 - say, 1.010 or 1.005, then you need to rack your wine into a secondary that has virtually no headroom whatsoever. I would argue a narrow mouthed carboy is what you want and you want to fill that carboy right up into the neck so that there is less than a cubic inch of air between the surface of the wine and the bottom of the bung.

Back