Pet bottles from coopers and dishwasher is it ok

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimjam1973

Reaction score
Is it ok to use the dishwasher to clean my used PET coopers bottles and will that sterilise them or do I need to do that as well after ?

Make sure the heated dry isn't on or you will start to melt them. The hot water will sterilize them but it's not permanent. You will need to sterilize with star san or something else before you bottle.

I don't know about the Coopers bottles but the Mr. Beer PET bottles I use explicitly say that they are not dishwasher safe.

I've never cleaned my Cooper's bottles (going on three years now). I rinse them really well with hot water pretty much as soon as they are empty and give them a quick but thorough inspection before sticking them on my bottle tree to drain. Once they are dry I put the caps back on them and store them in the box my DIY fermenter came in. When bottling day comes around I sanitize with Star San and fill them up.

Like I said, it's been nearly three years now and so far no problems. It's become such a habit that I can be three parts in the bag, I'll still stagger over to the sink to sort out my bottles before heading to bed:drunk:.

I've never cleaned my Cooper's bottles (going on three years now). I rinse them really well with hot water pretty much as soon as they are empty and give them a quick but thorough inspection before sticking them on my bottle tree to drain. Once they are dry I put the caps back on them and store them in the box my DIY fermenter came in. When bottling day comes around I sanitize with Star San and fill them up.

Like I said, it's been nearly three years now and so far no problems. It's become such a habit that I can be three parts in the bag, I'll still stagger over to the sink to sort out my bottles before heading to bed:drunk:.

That's my technique exactly. Nary a problem. Triple rinse with hot water immediately after use, drain dry upside down, cap and store, sanitize before bottling the next time.

Just be careful that the water is warm, but not hot. Even very hot tap water can warp them. When I still had mine, I rinsed them out with warm water. If anything was stuck in the lugs at the bottom of the bottles, I soaked them with a little PBW solution. Rinse then onto the bottle tree to dry.

Back