Peach wine recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slice

Reaction score
Does anybody have a really good peach wine recipe they use? I'm getting impatient waiting for my other wine to age so I'm going to make another couple gallons of something else in the mean time

Here's the one I used, a piecemeal recipe cobbled together from various book and internet recipes. Smelled and tasted strongly of peach - sweetened after the fact, because I prefer sweeter wine. Without sweetening, it was only a tiny bit sweet.

Ingredients:
3.25 quarts water
32 oz. canned peaches in light syrup
2 lbs. sugar
2 tsp. acid blend
1 tsp. yeast nutrient
0.25 tsp. tannin
0.5 tsp. pectic enzyme
Vintner's Harvest SN9 yeast

Boiled water, turned off heat, added the sugar to dissolve. Added in syrup (only syrup) from the canned peaches. Put fruit in a nylon straining bag, then into the bottom of primary fermenter (in my case this is a 2 gallon sealable bucket). Poured hot water / syrup mix over top of bag. Added acid, nutrient, and tannin. Let cool. Then added pectic enzyme.

24 hours later, added the yeast. Kept primary fermenter sealed with an airlock. Stirred daily for 5 days. On the 6th day, took out straining bag - let drain into bucket, but did not squeeze. Siphoned must into 1 gallon glass carboy, and fit an airlock. Waited 3 months. Racked into clean 1 gallon glass carboy. Waited 3 months. Racked into clean 1 gallon glass carboy again. Waited 3 more months.

At this point the wine was almost a golden yellow, and nearly crystal clear. Tasted and smelled like peaches right off of the tree. Decided to sweeten, but that's a personal preference. Everyone makes wine differently. If you'd like to read a bunch of recipes, and cobble one together to make it your own, do it! Every single batch of wine is a learning experience. Experiment. Learn. Enjoy.

Interesting that hoppy2bmerry and ShadesManna both used only 2lbs of peaches and were able to create a wine (or mead) with a strong enough peach flavor. I would have thought tat you would have had to use 3-4 lbs of the fruit in each gallon.

... only 2lbs of peaches and were able to create a wine (or mead) with a strong enough peach flavor.
It really surprised me, too. ;)

The syrup from the canned peaches might have had something to do with it in my wine's case. Mostly it's extra sugar, but it feels like it might have some bonus peachy flavor in there, too? From soaking on the fruit, and possibly fruit that's long gone into other cans on the assembly line?

I have three peach trees, so I had almost 500 lbs of peaches this year. I am currently using this recipe - HERE to make 6 gallons. I have racked it to pull it off the fruit that was floating, and in one week in the secondary fermenter, I have reached 12% alc already and the yeast seems still very active, with the bubbler still bubbling strong.

I am a little unsure what I should do now. I don't want a dry peach wine. Last year with my muscadine wine, it look over a month to get to this point.

Wine will almost always go dry, unless you overwhelm it with sugar. (Then you have sweet hot rocket fuel.

Let this finish up, and rack it as needed whenever there are lees 1/4" thick, or any lees at all after 60 days. Once it's completely clear and no longer dropping any lees, you can stabilize it and then sweeten to taste before bottling.

Latest posts

Back