Optimal temperature for metabisulfite?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First I want to say how pleased I am to see this topic finally getting the attention it deserves. I've been curious about it since Fix wrote about HSA the 1990s. I'm getting back into brewing after a long hiatus, and hope to incorporate many of the new techniques.

I'm wondering if there is an optimal temperature range for metabisulfite effectiveness?

Specifically, if I use the yeast method to deoxygenate at 80-90° F, then heat to strike temperature (with subsequent transfer to a picnic cooler for mashing), what would be the best point to add metabisulfite?

First I want to say how pleased I am to see this topic finally getting the attention it deserves. I've been curious about it since Fix wrote about HSA the 1990s. I'm getting back into brewing after a long hiatus, and hope to incorporate many of the new techniques.

I'm wondering if there is an optimal temperature range for metabisulfite effectiveness?

Specifically, if I use the yeast method to deoxygenate at 80-90° F, then heat to strike temperature (with subsequent transfer to a picnic cooler for mashing), what would be the best point to add metabisulfite?

I would heat to strike and add Meta then hold that temp for a few minutes and dough-in.

Latest posts

Back