Not sure what’s going on here - KVEIK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdon

Reaction score
This is my second batch using lallemand Voss Kveik, this time in a Simcoe Smash brew, mashed at 152°, pitched at around 75° and fermented ranging between 74° and 78°

Not sure what this dense white stuff growing as Krausen is. Just a more vigorous fermentation aftermath? I did lose a bit to the blowoff assembly jar which has happened to me before with other yeasts, but never seen this before. This wasn’t on my first batch of Citra Smash using this same yeast and pitch rate either, except that batch did have a cleaner fermentation, which was vigorous, but did not shoot beer out the tube.

First 2 pics are at day 5, last 2 pics are showing day 9 (today) which now has white stuff growing onto the bottom half of the carboy as well.

I practiced thorough sanitation using a bleach solution and thorough rinsing with cooled boiled water.

Anyone know what this is? have never this dense white top forming krausen or powdery looking white krausen forming on the bottom side nonetheless.

I notice it looks similar to the nice little yeast cake on the bottom, which I didn’t notice in the first batch with this yeast because I paid attention to letting less trub/hop get thrown up into wort while chilling or poured into the carboy. It looks like a nice creamy paste. 🙂

Attachments

• 9B00B591-2A27-4FA2-8E91-C2F2681E5FC5.jpeg
    9B00B591-2A27-4FA2-8E91-C2F2681E5FC5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • B625D1ED-D47B-4B5D-B0D3-13B0E5A4348D.jpeg
    B625D1ED-D47B-4B5D-B0D3-13B0E5A4348D.jpeg
  • F15CB231-B32A-4830-B6DD-375282A1AF8D.jpeg
    F15CB231-B32A-4830-B6DD-375282A1AF8D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 77966DAB-864A-49F5-AFD8-EA774F36694A.jpeg
    77966DAB-864A-49F5-AFD8-EA774F36694A.jpeg
Last edited:
I think this is yeast only. On the top as well as on the bottom cells floculating.
Kveik voss is agresive fermentor when warm enough. First it rises and then floculates nicely. All looks good to me.

I think this is yeast only. On the top as well as on the bottom cells floculating.
Kveik voss is agresive fermentor when warm enough. First it rises and then floculates nicely. All looks good to me.
Haha thanks, that’s nuts! I never seen white yeast jump out the beer😂

Yep, that's yeast. Next time, try fermenting it at body temperature (37 c). Two days and done. And clean! No fusels!
Probably give it much more headspace if you do that, though. Heat wrap is a cheap, easy way to keep temps up. Similar to a seedling mat. Link for example.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/fermwrap-heater.html

Seedling mat should also work just fine. They commonly include controllers with those too.

Edit: Saw you're in Miami. Hot days work well for me too :)

Probably give it much more headspace if you do that, though. Heat wrap is a cheap, easy way to keep temps up. Similar to a seedling mat. Link for example.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/fermwrap-heater.html

Seedling mat should also work just fine. They commonly include controllers with those too.

Edit: Saw you're in Miami. Hot days work well for me too :)
Thanks for sharing! I’m going to invest in that, I love being able to stack up on bottled beer with this yeast since I do stovetop brewing no more than 2 gallons at a time.

I’m in Miami but I don’t have a garage and I live on a lake with a ton of critters who’d love to get a taste of sweet beer, so can’t leave it out in my patios and my attic is the only other place that reaches those temps but I can imagine a disaster happening trying to bring carboy up there haha

Yeah that’s what I will start doing as soon as I get a keg. What do you use to keep temp up there?
Just chill the wort to 37c, pitch the yeast and wrap it in a nice and thick blanket or sleeping bag. It's almost done before it has cooled down significantly. it is also heating up itself a bit during peak fermentation.

Other way is an aquarium heater in a water bath. I do this with my saisons.

Last edited:
Just chill the wort to 37c, pitch the yeast and wrap it in a nice and thick blanket or sleeping bag. It's almost done before it has cooled down significantly. it is also heating up itself a bit during peak fermentation.

Awesome tips, thanks

How hot do you push your saisons and with which yeast that is?

How hot do you push your saisons and with which yeast that is?
Depends on the yeast. Look it up per yeast, I always try to reach the upper end of the range, mainly 30-35 c. My favourite is imperial rustik but i had also really good results with Wyeast 3724. The key is fermenting hot and the first few days open imo. No lid on the fermenter "open". Just some cloth to keeps insects out.

Depends on the yeast. Look it up per yeast, I always try to reach the upper end of the range, mainly 30-35 c. My favourite is imperial rustik but i had also really good results with Wyeast 3724. The key is fermenting hot and the first few days open imo. No lid on the fermenter "open". Just some cloth to keeps insects out.
I'll second Rustic, which I believe is the Blaugies strain. It's a beautiful yeast and open top fermentation lends a great character. Mid to high 70s for me has worked well. Which is near the top of the suggested range as Miraculix mentioned.

Back