Modifying AC for fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dordelli

Reaction score
So my 17cf upright freezer/ferm chamber that I used with an STC1000 to control temps just died and I need something new. This freezer was on the small side for my needs so am looking for the next best thing.... building my own ferm chamber with room for future expansion. I actually have a 5,000btu window ac so was considering a custom enclosure using it, but my query is how do I control this unit with an Stc1000. It's a digital AC and all of the builds I have seen are using an analog unit where u simply plug it into the STC and off u go. So how do I wire it (Stc1000) to a digital unit, I assume I'll need to open her up and do some rewiring and I am comfortable with that but can't find the details on how/what to modify. My best case is to be able to use the Stc 1000 and a thermowell in my fermenter turning the AC on/off to maintain the 65f ale temp. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I have seen the Coolbot, but for $300 would prefer to modify my current AC. My AC unit is a 3yr old Daewoo model purchased at Costco if that matters.

Back