Kettle arrangement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nas81

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am in the process of converting to electric brewing and will have a single tier 3v system. Is there an established arrangement for the kettles or since we use pumps can kettles be in any order? I will be venting with exhaust vent through a window so planned to put the BK under that then HLT to left and MT on the right (HLT-BK-MT arrangement as this is how the table will fit/sit in my brewing area). I have tried looking at other's pictures but can't really tell there is any consistency. Thanks!

Edit to add: I am using the SSbrewtech 2V controller so would like to place it between the HLT and BK to minimize electrical area and for outlet placement).

Probably does not matter much/subjective, here is pic of mine. HLT, MT, BK. Have HLT up a little to gravity feed sparge, but it works fine level too, I just like to run the pump less due to noise. Actually gravity feeds from MT to BK for about half the fly sparge process too. I did get a 12 ft heat probe connector, just for controller placement flexibility.
IMG_1305.JPG
ctive.

I have an all gravity tier system ,I started my design from the ground up, literally . Height of my fermenter from the floor (glass 6 gallon carboy )+2 inches. That established the bottom of my next tier up (the boil kettle )and again after adding 2 inches in height established my mash tun tier, and so on with my strike and sparge kettle level. The top of my strike and sparge level is right at shoulder height so I do have to use a step stool to fill that until I can rig up a tall filling faucet which will probably serve double duty later in the brew day for running water through the immersion chiller. After vessels are filled all I have to do is open ball valves to transfer. Simple, and works for me .

I expect most pumped 3V single-tier folks put the MLT in the middle as it minimized tubing lengths and there's a natural processing progression from HLT to MLT to BK. Otherwise it comes down to personal preference - pumps allow plenty of flexibility...

Cheers!

Back