Keg not flowing right.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jako

Reaction score
Keg is flowing wierd. As if it has lots of pressure. Flows fast with tons of foam. I am sure it's not over carb

What the PSI setting on your regulator? How long is your beer line and what's its inner diameter?

This could be symptomatic of a classic cornelius keg failure mode: gas escaping from the keg head space into the beer stream at the Out post, due to a damaged or missing small O-ring under the long dip tube flange.

Disconnect the gas, pull and latch the PRV, unscrew the Out post and remove the Out dip tube. Inspect the O-ring - or just replace it outright, as it's almost certainly the root cause of the pour problem. Sanitize all removed parts, reinstall same, unlatch the PRV and put the keg on gas...

Cheers!

This could be symptomatic of a classic cornelius keg failure mode: gas escaping from the keg head space into the beer stream at the Out post, due to a damaged or missing small O-ring under the long dip tube flange.

I'm not saying this isn't the problem, but I don't think it would explain the "flows fast" bit.

Disconnect the gas, pull and latch the PRV, unscrew the Out post and remove the Out dip tube. Inspect the O-ring - or just replace it outright, as it's almost certainly the root cause of the pour problem. Sanitize all removed parts, reinstall same, unlatch the PRV and put the keg on gas...

Cheers!

i was going to say that, but decided to try the watch button instead. ;)

a further thing to consider being i just had this problem, is when the dip tube is out, make sure the post, tube are clean, and don't have a build up of dried on beer crust! (had to replace it twice)

Cheers!

Sounds super likely going to give this a go

i was going to say that, but decided to try the watch button instead. ;)

a further thing to consider being i just had this problem, is when the dip tube is out, make sure the post, tube are clean, and don't have a build up of dried on beer crust! (had to replace it twice)
Ha I hope that's not part of the problem. I will revert back let everyone know.

10psi with 5 feet of line. I never had issues in the past.

You didn't say, but if that's 3/16" ID beer line, that should not be a problem. Are you sure the beer "flows fast," i.e. faster than normal? A bad O-ring could certainly explain the foaming, but it wouldn't make the beer flow faster, unless I'm really missing something.

If you're actually getting faster flow with exactly the same setup you had been using without issues, I'd suspect that your pressure gauge may be (now) understating the pressure.

OTOH, seeing a lot of foam could make it seem like the flow is faster, because foam expands to fill the glass in less time than liquid beer would.

I'd suspect that your pressure gauge may be (now) understating the pressure.

i ALSO just replaced my gauge, and confirmed the old one was underestimating by 2-3 psi...(i shut off the kegs, and tank before replacing the gauge and the new one read higher)

something else to think about now that i say that, could your serving lines somehow of gotten warmer?

Are the serving lines nice and clean, a build up of stone etc can make the line rough on the inside and cause nucleation.
Can you swap the line over with another keg that's pouring fine ( as a temporary test ), if it's okay with the different line then look at line and tap.
Otherwise work your way from the outside of keg to the inside.
No chance of secondary ferment in keg set off by hop creep bumping up the keg pressure?

You didn't say, but if that's 3/16" ID beer line, that should not be a problem. Are you sure the beer "flows fast," i.e. faster than normal? A bad O-ring could certainly explain the foaming, but it wouldn't make the beer flow faster, unless I'm really missing something.

If you're actually getting faster flow with exactly the same setup you had been using without issues, I'd suspect that your pressure gauge may be (now) understating the pressure.

OTOH, seeing a lot of foam could make it seem like the flow is faster, because foam expands to fill the glass in less time than liquid beer would.

That's correct. Flowing faster isn't a good description. It's sounds like a spray cleaner that foams up. It's definitely sounds like it's pulling air.

Uhh sounds like a nitro tap haha. Now I am worried the keg is just sucking in tons of air.

No lack of head on the beers last night

Attachments

• 20210311_040820.jpg
    20210311_040820.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
Have you put a gauge on the keg gas post to check the pressure ( not just the regulator reading ) ?

If the pressure is too high in the keg then it will form bubbles in the line due to the pressure change being too great.
Although strange that it is just happening now. Are there hops in the keg? If the post or dip tube slightly blocked with hops they will nucleate as well because of turbulence.

I will second the question about hops in the keg. I have had errant dry hops get into the keg and clog the post and/or QD, resulting in foamy beer. Try disassembling/cleaning the beer QD first. If that doesn't work, disconnect the gas, bleed the keg, and pull/clean the post. I have never had the dip tube itself get clogged, but I suppose that is possible if you have a lot of hops or whole hops in the keg.

So last night I pulled the beer side apart on the keg. It all looked okay but I made sure it was correct and added some keg lube on the gaskets. Works perfectly now

glad the problem is fixed!

did you replace the o-ring or just lube it? maybe the post was loose? was it hard to get it off or easy?

Don't mention the loose post scenario. It never occurred to me that the post could be loose ( how stupid was that ) and I spent ages seeking a pressure loss that was solved in about 10 seconds with a spanner.
Now I give them a check each time I reload the keg.

glad the problem is fixed!

did you replace the o-ring or just lube it? maybe the post was loose? was it hard to get it off or easy?

i will replace the o-ring once i finish the beer. i made the mistake of doing this before i poured a beer...
the post was tight but honestly i think i used a different dip tube from another keg and its not sitting 100% right.

Back