It should of came with a warning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeHeavy

Reaction score
I received a stainless steel fermenter for Christmas this year. After taking it out of the box I gave it a quick wash before putting it away.

It looked clean and shinny as I started to dry it, but I quickly found my towel was turning black, I was like “what is going on.”

Had to be from the manufacturing process and a quick Google search confirmed it. So out came Bar Keepers Friend and a good scrubbing and now it's ready to go. My wash rag turned gray!

I own several SS pots and I've never had this happen when they where new and it never occurred to me that something like this would be a problem.

I'm surprised it didn't come with a warning, who knows what that black film was or how sick it could make a person. I don't know how they could of allowed their fermenter out the door like that and without a warning and instructions on cleaning their fermenter.

I got lucky.

If it didn't tell you to clean it, that's on the manufacturer. Cleaning of machine oils/the like from new stainless equipment is standard practice. You'd be well served to directly passivate it as well.

I'd you think you got it all, I'd highly suggest a hot pbw soak and wipe down with a white paper towel. Betting there's a lot more of it there than you'd think.

Who takes a manufactured product, intended to be used in a food grade process, and puts it to use, out of the box, without thoroughly cleaning and sanitizing it? People shouldn’t have to be warned to clean something that is going to come into contact with food or beverages.

Oh, wait...it’s the 21st century and this is the first world. Carry on. :rolleyes:

My Blichmann kettles not only came with instructions for how to clean and passivate before the first use but also included packets of the products needed to do it.

Who takes a manufactured product, intended to be used in a food grade process, and puts it to use, out of the box, without thoroughly cleaning and sanitizing it? People shouldn’t have to be warned to clean something that is going to come into contact with food or beverages.

Oh, wait...it’s the 21st century and this is the first world. Carry on. :rolleyes:

ok boomer

I received a stainless steel fermenter for Christmas this year. After taking it out of the box I gave it a quick wash before putting it away.

It looked clean and shinny as I started to dry it, but I quickly found my towel was turning black, I was like “what is going on.”

Had to be from the manufacturing process and a quick Google search confirmed it. So out came Bar Keepers Friend and a good scrubbing and now it's ready to go. My wash rag turned gray!

I own several SS pots and I've never had this happen when they where new and it never occurred to me that something like this would be a problem.

I'm surprised it didn't come with a warning, who knows what that black film was or how sick it could make a person. I don't know how they could of allowed their fermenter out the door like that and without a warning and instructions on cleaning their fermenter.

I got lucky.

If this came from a reputable manufacturer it should have instructions explaining what extent of cleaning or passivization is necessary. It is possible the black you were wiping away was harmless carbon from passivization but it could also be machine oils left behind that needed a good cleaning to remove.

ok boomer
Oh no he di'n't!!!!!

I assume the OP is talking about the SS Brewtech fermenter. Yeah, you just have to clean it really well (I think with regular dish soap), then what I did to passivate was use pure Starsan on a towel and rubbed it generously all over the inside of the fermenter. No need to fill the dang thing all the way up.

Oh no he di'n't!!!!!

I assume the OP is talking about the SS Brewtech fermenter. Yeah, you just have to clean it really well (I think with regular dish soap), then what I did to passivate was use pure Starsan on a towel and rubbed it generously all over the inside of the fermenter. No need to fill the dang thing all the way up.

.... que the passivation scientist

I’ll just leave this here-

418AC09B-F14F-4165-A4A2-0273170D7A3E.gif

Back