Increasing beer clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.N. Brewer

Reaction score
So I’ve been looking into increasing my beer clarity and I’ve heard quite a bit about Irish moss. But I’ve also heard quite a bit about unflavored gelatin. With the unflavored gelatin, when would I add that and would my beer need to be cold crashed with it/ refrigerated for it to work? I know adding Irish moss is 15 minutes before boil termination. But would I transfer the Irish moss with my wert over to the fermenter? If someone could explain this to me I would really appreciate it. I’m a 1 gallon brewer if that helps at all.

I clear my beer by using Irish moss in the boil and a three week primary. The time in primary allows excess yeast and sediments to drop and compact in the trub layer. Careful racking to the bottling bucket leaves all the trub in the primary.

Irish moss or Whirlfloc are added to the boil, and you can't go wrong with them.
As I understand it, they help separate the proteins post-boil.

Gelatin is a must in my brewery, I think it makes a huge difference in clarity.
I add it during my cold crash, but you can add it after.
I'll chill the beer down to 45 degrees, then stop and add the gelatin right into the fermenter with a gentle swirl.
Then, I continue crashing down to 32 degrees and rack to the keg.
Make the gelatin solution by combining 1/2 tsp Knox Unflavored Gelatin with 1/4 cup cool water then microwaving it in short (7 second) bursts until it reaches 145-150°F, stirring with the end of a thermometer between each burst.

Here's a good write up about the process:
http://brulosophy.com/2015/01/05/the-gelatin-effect-exbeeriment-results/

Some people add the gelatin into the keg after kegging it. As the keg chills it achieves the same effect. The first glass or two from the keg should be poured out though.
If you bottle, you'll have to add it to the cold crash.

Good luck!

Irish Moss is added in the last 15 min of boil. That's it, that's all you need to do with it. What I did not realize until recently was that irish moss and whirlfloc target clearing "break" material in your kettle. This stuff is geared at ensuring you transfer clear wort to the fermenter and you leave all of the break material and trub behind. As @enkamania stated, it dissolves and you don't need to do anything else with it.

Gelatin is added at the end of fermentation to clear the yeast and the proteins in suspension.

In order to use gelatin, I start the cold crash and get the beer to about 48-50*F. I'll usually start it overnight and by the next morning it's there. At this point, I'll add the gelatin. I use the same Brulosophy process that @Bilbo1usa linked above. Once added, I continue chilling to about 38*F and leave it here for 24 hours.

I also use gelatin. works wonders.
My process: get temps to 45 or below then add 1t gelatin dissolved in 1/2c water. Dump and let it go 24-48 hrs then transfer to keg or bottle. If you bottle I wouldn't go any more than 24 hrs.

For 1gal batches I am assuming you are bottling, so if you can store the bottles for a couple weeks cold that will in itself help with clarity. If you are already storing cold for that long I would start with whirfloc and 2 weeks cold before trying gelatin.

I use whirfloc and about half the recommended amount, I use 1gm for 5gal batches so you can use about .25gm for a 1gal batch.

I used 3.5gm of gelatin(1/2 of the knoxs packet) for a 5 gal batch when I use it. I got a whiff of the hot gelatin once and it smells awful, so I only use it for beers that don't clear with time (I keg so I can decide when to use it). For a 1 gal batch I would get the beer cold then used about .5 to 1 gm in 4oz or less of water. Allow it to bloom in chilled water for 20min then heat in the microwave in blasts like other have said.

I used gelatin for the first time on my last batch—without cold crashing!—and it worked great. It was for an amber lager and it's clear as glass in the bottle. Carbed up no problem, too.

0405CCC6-49E2-4268-856C-4AA25468CDAC.jpeg

Or if you’re a bonehead like me... do nothing. Maybe it was the 50% wheat. I don’t know.

The irish moss will dissolve in the wort

Sorry, but Irish Moss does not dissolve.

Various fining's are used at different times in the fermenting stage.

Just real quick: Irish Moss and Whirlfloc is used in the boil. Gelatin is used in the keg or secondary prior to bottling/kegging.

To learn more about fining's do a search for:

Fining Agents – Improving Beer Clarity by Brad Smith, December 30, 2008.

(I don't want to cut & paste the article for copyright reasons).

One far more minor thing that can help (only after you already do all the things above) is to make sure your calcium is at least 50ppm in your water , it will aid in yeast floculation

Back