Imperial B48 and Banana flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knkbrand

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am looking for some help and guidance. I just brewed a Belgium Quad trying for something like a Chimay Grand Reserve. It finished a little like in color, so I need to tweak the recipie a bit. However a bigger concern is the yeast I used was Imperial Yeast B48 Triple Double, and I am getting a lot of banana in the nose and the taste. I fermented at 65 Fahrenheit. Are their any suggestions oh how to eliminate the banana taste? I bought a chimay to taste side by side, and I don't get any banana in the chimay. I wasn't sure if this yeast could be fermented colder like the hefeweizen yeast to eliminate the banana. Thanks in advance for any help!

Some Belgian yeast will give off banana esters, but can and will dissipate. I for one, do not dislike it.

I would however draw attention to the fact that you brewed a Belgian beer and fermented at 65F. That's a good temperature to get restrained ester and phenolic production from the yeast. I much prefer warmer temperatures with any Belgian yeats strain, be it dry or liquid.

Yeah, let that beer hang out at room temp for a couple weeks and you’ll be surprised how much it changes.

I would however draw attention to the fact that you brewed a Belgian beer and fermented at 65F. That's a good temperature to get restrained ester and phenolic production from the yeast. I much prefer warmer temperatures with any Belgian yeats strain, be it dry or liquid.

Well it wasn't as restrained as I was hoping for :) Not a big fan of banana esters. but I really enjoy those belgium beers that don't have a banana taste. same goes for my Hefes when I brew them. I ferment really cold to bring out the clove and subdue the banana. Was hoping for the same with this belgium.

Back