Homebrewing popularity fading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I eschew thread proliferation :)

The plot I linked above has an overlaying cyclic nature that centers on Christmas - probably Mister Beer sales or equivalent bucket-based home brewing starter kits. In any case the general home brewing interest decline from peak clearly started in 2012.

Then there's this curve comparison of craft vs home brew as shown earlier in this thread. Roughly the beginning of 2010, craft beer interest started building quickly, leaving home brewing in the comparative dust. It isn't clear that there is a relationship between the two, however...
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=craft beer,Homebrewing
Cheers!
I think it is a great discussion. I would love to know the relative ages of the homebrewers. I still think the younger generation has no interest in the DIY and wants immediate results. Just me though, and I work with a lot of younger folks that are very different than us older folks. LOL

1700170208960.png

I created this graph from new membership info on this site. The spike at the end (2022) was due to a merge of HBT Brazil members, so ignore that. Anyway, I think it confirms a significant decrease in interest (if you think that new membership at HBT is any sort of indicator). I did some averaging to get rid of the christmas spikes.

That odd dip around 2018 was (I think) due to a purge of members who hadn't posted in a long time.

1700182133840.png

I think it lends credence to the spike in 2009-2011-ish followed by a return to 2004-2006 levels.

I wonder what you'd see if you charted AHA membership over the same period.

What's interesting about the astronomy forum(s) that I follow is that they don't focus much on the state of the hobby.

Instead, they focus on how to help people get the best out of the hobby: "Urban skys and binos? Here's an approach to get you started.".

So far, those forum(s) seem to be an interesting counter-example to this article (link). But time will tell.

Well, it’s been a roller coaster ride for me; perhaps others as well. I did my first batches way back when I was in my thirties. But a move, new job, growing kids, and the gear was put away….until I ran into another homebrewer and the interest was rekindled. The cycle repeated as I got involved in other things.
A few years ago, I met a couple guys who brewed and took me beyond the extract kits to all-grain brewing. As other hobbies were put aside, my homebrew activity increased. Now, as I ease into retirement, I have more time for the hobby.
This forum has been a great resource. I have learned many things here that has taken my brewing way beyond what I call my “hamburger helper” days; where I just opened up a kit, added a few basic ingredients, heated, and stirred. This is way more interesting.

There’s a lot of things at play here, so isolating a cause-effect and formulating a fix is likely impossible. As mentioned, the younger generation is different; WAY different. Different age groups seek different things from their hobbies; group interaction, simple diversion, occupied solitude, self-satisfaction, etc. This hobby has enough flexibility to cover a wide variety of participation from those who brew extract kits alone, to guys who brew together, to those who brew for competition.
The downside to folks losing interest is that it effects all of us; without interest, the local supply stores close, and hardware options diminish. Let’s spread the word and keep it going!

formulating a fix is likely impossible
Some astronomy forum(s) seem to have avoided many of the problems.
  • Conversations stay focused on the positive aspects ("here's how to enjoy astronomy in urban skies with 10x binos"; "deep sky observations in urban areas? Here's some relatively inexpensive equipment and process for time lapse astro-photography)".
  • There is no expectation that one will "take it to the next level" (20x binos, telescopes, move to a rural area, fly to the dark side of the moon ;), etc).
  • There are numerous discussions where people are using both telescopes and binos.
  • And numerous discussions where people have switched from telescopes to binos.
Time will tell.

A few years ago there was a sub-plot on some episodes of Chicago Fire, where three of the show's characters were developing home brew and trying to set up a brewery.

I thought, "Cool, home brewing made prime time!"

Then I thought, "Uh-oh, home brewing made prime time. That means it's way past its Zeitgeist."

My wife is an avid quilter. It looks the same for that hobby, too. Like homebrew stores, quilt stores have been closing up everywhere.
I used to bowl. At one point I was in 2 leagues a week and often subbed in a third. Now I haven’t bowled for over 10 years. Thats another thing that has constant stories of declining membership and people keep saying is dying. Yet its still going, they have all kinds of new bowling ball technology, 87 year old ladies and 9 year old kids are bowling 300 games, people bowl with 2 hands now and its still out there. Don’t get me started on bowling.

I used to bowl. At one point I was in 2 leagues a week and often subbed in a third. Now I haven’t bowled for over 10 years. Thats another thing that has constant stories of declining membership and people keep saying is dying. Yet its still going, they have all kinds of new bowling ball technology, 87 year old ladies and 9 year old kids are bowling 300 games, people bowl with 2 hands now and its still out there. Don’t get me started on bowling.
I was watching something the other day and it showed someone bowling with two hands. I thought, that is cheating. LOL.

I was watching something the other day and it showed someone bowling with two hands. I thought, that is cheating. LOL.
Started awhile ago with this guy named Jason Belmonte who is a professional two hand bowler. The USBC accepted it and not only can you bowl two hands but tou can switch between one hand and two hands any time you like to shoot spares too. The whole thing is ridiculous.

If club membership is any indicator, our local club has more regular members now than we did 10 years ago and is stronger than ever.
This might reflect the more communal view of younger generations than us lone shark Gen X'ers. I do not want to brew in a group of people. When I brew with my younger cousin at his place, people are stopping by throughout the day...

The younger folks are probably more interested in getting together and talking about making beer than actually making it.

Sadly, it appears the damage is already done with so many LHBS closing down. While many might not care how many are in the hobby, it does have an impact on getting ingredients and shops surviving.

I'd say it's less of a generational divide, and more of a personal objective for the hobby. A social person would find enjoyment in having a 5hr hang-out with friends. The cost conscious will order cheap ingredients and speed through the process. The scientific will hideaway in their basement breweries to better focus on their latest creations.

In terms of clubs, ours is easily 2/3rds retirees, a couple of which are more inclined to talk beer than make it - but they are still in the right spot with us.

And in regards to LHBS, I'd say that homebrewers are equal parts cost and quality conscious. Many smaller shops struggle to hit either of these marks, let alone both.

Back