High final SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobtheUKbrewer2

Reaction score
A typical 3.8% SMASH beer for me starts at 11.2 BRIX and is bottled at 6.5 BRIX - I use Safale 04 yeast - have tried Safale 05 but it takes twice the time to ferment and does not clear very well. Any suggestions ? II mash at 68 - 70 deg C.

Gnome, refractometer. It is not important which I believe, I would like to be getting near to 5.0 BRIX. I understand mashing at the high end of the range has an effect, perhaps I am looking for other yeast suggestions. I typically bottle after 6 days as the beer is clear and no bubbles are visible.

Refractometer cannot be used after fermentation started, due to the presence of alcohol they give false readings. Invest in a hydrometer, you might be already where you want to be.

Gnome, refractometer. It is not important which I believe, I would like to be getting near to 5.0 BRIX.

When you use a refractometer, you also need to use a refractometer calculator to adjust the readings. There's lots of them out there. I like Sean Terrill's.

When you use a refractometer, you also need to use a refractometer calculator to adjust the readings. There's lots of them out there. I like Sean Terrill's.

VikeMan is correct. You can get accurate results with a refractometer, but you need to do this conversion. Link and image:

http://seanterrill.com/2012/01/06/refractometer-calculator/
1613658650043.png

So you actually went from about 1.043 to about 1.013 plus or minus a point or two on both ends. The calculation is reasonably accurate.

So what exactly is your issue? |Do you want it to have a lower FG (SG is starting gravity - the point which you pitch the yeast. FG would be final gravity.)
The biggest thing to be would be to drop the mash temp - 65 or so celsius (150 F) would be much better for getting a fermentable wort. |As far as time taken, part of that is what temps you're fermenting at. |Personally I like fermenting low for most of my beers, 60 or 62 F (15 - 17 C) seems to work for me. |It does take longer to ferment, but I'm in no hurry. I'll gladly leave it longer if it turns out a better product in the end.
|As far as clarity - how long do you leave it in fermenter? I've never had a issue with the yeast settling out with S05 (1056 / wlp001 - they're all the same|) as long as it's done fermenting and given time to settle. Another option might be a cold crash, if you're able. Once it's done and the gravity is stable, drop the tempsas low as practical - others might suggest a specific temp - which will encourage the yeast to settle out.

So what exactly is your issue? |Do you want it to have a lower FG (SG is starting gravity - the point which you pitch the yeast. FG would be final gravity.)

Just to clarify...
OG = Original Gravity
FG = Final Gravity
SG = Specific Gravity, taken at any time. Could be OG, FG, or anything in between.

Back