Help with RO water additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badlee

Reaction score
It has been a very long time since my last post.
For the longest time, I have been using the water additions as stated in the wonderful water chemistry primer, but wanted to seek advice on additions for a specific beer.
I will be brewing a 17ltr batch of something resembling some kind of lightish pilsner.
2kg Castle pils
1lb Weyermann pils
500gr flaked rice

Perle hops, whole cone 4.5%AA
50gr @60
30gr@20
20gr @ flame out

What kind of water additions should I be looking to add, given that 100% RO water will be used. I am unable to get my head around ppm, so good old grams, ounces, teaspoons, or table spoons would be very helpful.
Thank you very much in advance and happy Sunday.
Lee

It has been a very long time since my last post.
For the longest time, I have been using the water additions as stated in the wonderful water chemistry primer, but wanted to seek advice on additions for a specific beer.
I will be brewing a 17ltr batch of something resembling some kind of lightish pilsner.
2kg Castle pils
1lb Weyermann pils
500gr flaked rice

Perle hops, whole cone 4.5%AA
50gr @60
30gr@20
20gr @ flame out

What kind of water additions should I be looking to add, given that 100% RO water will be used. I am unable to get my head around ppm, so good old grams, ounces, teaspoons, or table spoons would be very helpful.
Thank you very much in advance and happy Sunday.
Lee

I think ounces and teaspoons could be too much. Salts are almost always weighed in grams. For a lager like that, less is more. Shoot for a mash pH of 5.2-5.3, and use just a little calcium choride (say, a teaspoon if you can't measure in grams) in the brewing water.

You want between 50 and 75 ppm's calcium in the mash,but that amount in the entire liquor quantity would be more like a Helles. I adjust my mash to 75 ppm calcium with CaCl2 and don't adjust the sparge or the boil. I also add yeast nutes because of the lower calcium.

I think ounces and teaspoons could be too much. Salts are almost always weighed in grams. For a lager like that, less is more. Shoot for a mash pH of 5.2-5.3, and use just a little calcium choride (say, a teaspoon if you can't measure in grams) in the brewing water.
Thank you.

Back