Help with concepts behind turbid mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacandagabrewing

Reaction score
Hi all! So i am in the process of figuring out my turbid mash process and have the five gallon process pretty well established. My question is can anyone break down how the arrive at how much to add and how much to pull? While my five gallon process works well, sometimes I brew 5 gallon or 7 gallon or 13 gallons depending on what I need. I think it would be very helpful if anyone had like a formula that I can plug my numbers into to get what it is at each step? I'd really appreciate it so much! Thank y'a;ll!

There isn’t a simple formula. For one thing, the thickness of the decoction you pull (in qt/lb or L/kg) is a key parameter and it’s not easy to know what you pulled.

if you want to work out the details it really helps to know a bit of thermodynamics. The calculation, though, is basically the same as for doing a multi-step mash except you’re adding back a mixture of hot grain and water instead of just water.

Back