Ginger Beer vs. Fermenting Grape Must

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z_L

Reaction score
I have made wine from fruits before, but it is first time I try ginger beer.

It is not recommended to drink a fermenting must, primarily because it contains plenty of live yeast that can upset the gut microbiota. It could have an effect like Candida overgrowth. I have tried to drink it, out of curiosity and it indeed doesn't feel good if one drinks a lot.

My question is about ginger beer, because this is basically the same as a fermenting wort. It is recommended to drink it before the fermentation is completed, which means while the yeast is still alive and active in it.

Why is such a fermenting wort bad for us in case of grapes and other fruit, but it is good in case of ginger beer? Why doesn't the live yeast and other bacteria in ginger beer upset the gut flora?

this makes no sense there is no reason the yeast in ginger beer would have any diferent affect on your gut then the yeast in any other fermented beverage. this is likely placebo . the only explanation i could think of is possibly the ginger which is a known prodigestive is helping offset any gut effect form the yeast.

this seems unlikely

this makes no sense there is no reason the yeast in ginger beer would have any diferent affect on your gut then the yeast in any other fermented beverage. this is likely placebo . the only explanation i could think of is possibly the ginger which is a known prodigestive is helping offset any gut effect form the yeast.

this seems unlikely

That's what I thought as well when first read about the ginger beer, how it is made, and how/when it is consumed. According to recipes the ginger beer is best consumed while it is still bubbly and mildly alcoholic, just like a fermenting must. Therefore, unless one kills the yeast in the beer with chemicals (I don't like added chemicals in my drinks), they are still alive, and supposed to act like in case of must.

It also makes good sense to assume that the difference is in ginger's special digestive effects. I am curious what kind of explanations exist about this subject, that is why I posted it here.

Latest posts

Back