Fermentis D-16

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DA-16 is on my list of things I might try later this fall.

FWIW, a set of recent web searches that I did found:
  • google (link) found a short topic over at /r/thebrewery with a short comment from a persona that had actually used it. and the usual set of "Capt Obvious" replies (e.g. 'you can do it cheaper yourself', ...).
  • CoPilot was serving up content from the link in #2.
  • ChatGPT statistically generated a bunch of text that was the equivalent of "white noise": not useful but not offensive.

2-3 times the price of other Safale yeasts for a 25g packet. 98-102%AA is a large claim to live up too.

Why do you have to look for experience? Just get some and make your own experience.

https://fermentis.com/en/product/safbrew-da-16/

https://fermentis.com/en/knowledge-center/expert-insights/beer/safbrew-da16-qa/

I wasn't aware of it. But since you brought it to my attention, it'll be one of the next yeast I try for some of the previous IPA's and pale ales I've made with US-05, S-04 and others.
Glad I could bring it to your attention. To answer your question, why does anyone ask about one's experience with anything? To better understand the particular thing. BTW, I ordered it before I got an answer. Looking forward to another brewing experiment.
Thanks for your response.

DA-16 is on my list of things I might try later this fall.

FWIW, a set of recent web searches that I did found:
  • google (link) found a short topic over at /r/thebrewery with a short comment from a persona that had actually used it. and the usual set of "Capt Obvious" replies (e.g. 'you can do it cheaper yourself', ...).
  • CoPilot was serving up content from the link in #2.
  • ChatGPT statistically generated a bunch of text that was the equivalent of "white noise": not useful but not offensive.
Thanks for your reply. Checking out the link.

2-3 times the price of other Safale yeasts for a 25g packet. [...]

If I were a commercial craft brewer, I would see DA-16 as a yeast product that works the same as my other dry yeast. Just pour it into the fermenter. No need for additional steps in the brewing schedule. No need to stock additional ingredients. That can have value to a commercial craft brewer.

For home brewers, it looks like it adds about 18 cents to the cost of a bottle of beer.
1715547229607.png
(recipe is from a Brulosophy exBEERiment)

98-102%AA is a large claim to live up too.
I have no doubt that the product can live up to this claim (as long as you don't exceed the alcohol tolerance, which is 16% so probably not an issue). Glucoamylase is a potent enzyme. A little goes a long way. It will turn everything in your wort into simple sugars that any yeast can ferment. The more important question is whether you really want a beer that dry. Which is down to your own personal tastes.

Back