DIY tower cooling using existing fan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanEBIAB

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an EdgeStar KC1000SS and I’ve been really happy with it for many years. I’d like to add cooling to the tower, however.

Many kits I’ve seen online are just a low powered fan in a box that directs cool air to the top of the tower via a tube. My kegerator already has a fan to circulate air behind the cooling plate in the back and out the top. It seems like I should be able to “capture” some output of that fan and tube it up to the tower…

Anything wrong with this plan? Should be a cheap experiment in any case, I think.

I suspect trying to use the evaporator fan to drive a tower cooler won't have much success, but there's certainly no harm in trying. I know that some Bev Air kegerators did that though I don't recall reading how well they worked. If it doesn't work, a good tower cooler actually will. Just need to get power to it...

Cheers!

fwiw, the built in tower cooling in my Kegco, which may have worked as @BryanEBIAB envisions, was of marginal effectiveness if any. (Of course, this could be a defect in my unit -- don't know for sure).

I added a "ColdTower" unit and got much better results.

I've had good luck with passive cooling. Basically you put a copper pipe over the beer line up into the tower and leave some exposed in the kegerator to chill the whole pipe. Just electrical tape the copper pipe to the beer line to hold it in place. Works perfect. No condensation on the tower. I just checked and I guess I buddy taped a second copper pipe to the one with the beer line in it for additional cooling.

Back