CraftBeerPi - Raspberry Pi Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
actually nope, the new pi comes with 2.5A and needs more power, but I would agree that for this project 2A is way enough.
The problem is if the board is really capable of delivering 3A. I ordered them already so I will check them

Is anyone else having trouble controlling an SSR directly from the PI? I've followed Manuel's installation diagrams, but can't get the SSR to respond. I've tested with the same GPIO and same SSR in StrangeBrew, and can activate the SSR through that interface, but can't get it to respond in CBP2.1.

Hi,

thats interesting. Please make sure that you selected "GPIO" as switch type during setup.
You can double check this in the configuration tab. You can even change it to GPIO in the configuration tab. A restart is required after change of this parameter.

Can you post the "app.log" file please? That the central log file of CraftBeerPi and you can find it in the home directory of CraftBeerPi.

You should find lines like this:

INFO:brewapp:<brewapp.base.devices.gpio.BrewGPIO object at 0x75c436d0>
INFO:brewapp:<brewapp.base.thermometer.w1_thermometer.OneWireThermometer object at 0x75c9a950>

I hope this helps.

Thanks, manuel. Yes, the GPIO I believe is set correctly. More interesting, might the error be in the configuration of the program itself? in the app.log file, there are several references to INFO:werkzeug: * Running on http://0.0.0.0:5000/, which is not the correct IP. In the main interface, the 'start' button on the recipe window does not do anything... it's as if the commands don't really start processing. I'll try to copy the app.log over in the afternoon, but am running out the door now.

Hi,

the http://0.0.0.0:5000/ is absolutely fine. This indicates that the server is accessible via all network interfaces and not only via localhost.

You mean the start button at the "Setup Dialog"? Can you access the dashboard?
You can mail the app.log to [email protected].

Best regards,
Manuel

Thanks, Manuel. Just sent you the app.log. The setup goes fine, and I can customize my hardware profiles. It recognizes the OneWire probe I have connected. But on the main page, when you should press start to initialize the profile sequence (heating, cooling, wait periods, etc.) based on a particular recipe loaded, nothing happens. Doesn't initialize. And the manual buttons (to activate the heater, or a pump, for instance) do nothing...

First draft of a Raspberry Pi Custom Shield for CraftBeerPi.
Community feedback is welcome.

shield5.png

Looks good but what are the options for an all electric setup, also, what about more ports for ds18b20's say for long tun temp vs rims outlet etc.

Looks good but what are the options for an all electric setup, also, what about more ports for ds18b20's say for long tun temp vs rims outlet etc.

You shouldn't use mechanical relays for electrical brewing, you will need an ssr. You can control an ssr from low DC voltage though, so maybe a few low voltage pins can be implemented.

This is my vision so far, I ordered parts already. This might be good for BIAB or 2 pot setup, there is place to add additional ports plus temp sensors if anyone will be intersted, plus the cost is much lower than upper board, there is also module for powering the Pi itself from 12V

index.jpg

i use BIAB, one pot so I use only one temp sensor plus heater and pump output. I tested it once and for the rest I am on ArdBir for now as I have built nice setup with it :)

I ran the install script on my Hosehead, and (foolishly) upgraded my whole Raspberry Pi. I hadn't done that since I bought my hosehead a year ago. It took about 20-30 minutes for everything to update.

Fortunately, after the upgrade, everything still works. I rebooted and VNC'd right back in. My Elsinore install still worked, and CraftPi started up automatically and was waiting for me to configure it.

I chose "yes" during the install for CraftPi to start automatically when my Pi boots up. How would I undo that? I'm thinking I want to start one or the other (SBE or craftpi), so I dont want either of them starting on boot up. I'm worried about having both servers running on brew day and overloading/crashing the Pi.

That sounds cool. I haven't expected that is will work.

To remove CBP from autostart you have to delete the following file:

/etc/init.d/craftbeerpiboot

I think it's a good idea to add a script to remove CBP from autostart.

To rerun the CBP setup just delete the craftbeerpi.db or delete all kettles and refresh the browser. Please make your that you also clear the browser cache.

Can use send me a picture of CBP running on Hosehead?

[email protected]

Cheers,
Manuel

Sure, here's a picture of CPB and SBE running on my hosehead. Let me know if you want any other screenshots.

I haven't fired up my heating element via CPB, but I've tested the pump because it uses the same 120v power that powers the hosehead. I expect everything would work, the probes and pump look good.

-SC

Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 10.00.40 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 10.01.23 PM.jpg

You shouldn't use mechanical relays for electrical brewing, you will need an ssr. You can control an ssr from low DC voltage though, so maybe a few low voltage pins can be implemented.

Yea... I'm clear on that and therefor was asking if there would be an all electric shield. That would be amazing.

Just saw on Facebook you are changing the license.

Amazing news! Even though I have zero intentions of using this for commercial purposes that license was pushing me away.

Software looks great!

Yes, it will change. It's about 1 year ago from home brewer for home brewers. Now l'm thinking of a home brewer license and a commercial brewer license.

Regards
Manuel

Yes, it will change. It's about 1 year ago from home brewer for home brewers. Now l'm thinking of a home brewer license and a commercial brewer license.

Regards
Manuel

Care to explain the differences? Cost? Features? What about electric vs propane?

The boards are here, 1st without module and 2nd with buck module. I am going for holidays for few days and after that I will test them :)
I have few more if someone will be interested :)

It is capable of having 2 temp sensors, and 4 outputs (for example 2 heater + 2 pumps or whatever). For most users this is probably enough, it is for sure enough for me right now as i have just one kettle with mesh basket inside :) If someone will need I can design with more outputs and more sensors, thats not a problem

Here is some repo for PCBs https://github.com/terragady/CraftBeerPi

Let me know if someone is interested in some changes or adding more stuff. I can already confirm that module is working with RaspberryPI so the additional power adaptor for RPI is not needed! Just power this board with 12V and thats it! :) (actually you can use any voltage higher than ~6V depends on your relays (or SSRs) but the 12V is normal and usually people are using 12V for pumps and agitators already and its easily obtainable from PC PSUs or printer power adapter etc.

IMAG0921.jpg

IMAG0923.jpg

Nice work.I'm interested as well.Can't you hook up as many DS18B20 as you need and let the RPI sort them out?
Each sensor has a unique 64-Bit Serial number etched into it - allows for a huge number of sensors to be used on one data bus. This is a wonderful part that is the corner stone of many data-logging and temperature control projects.

Great work, interested in the board with buck module.

Nice work.I'm interested as well.Can't you hook up as many DS18B20 as you need and let the RPI sort them out?

basically you can, it is parasite mode but it is not the best option though and I am not sure if it is supported by the CraftBeerPI (or maybe it will be supported if you guys need it probably). I do not think that anyone will need more than 4 sensors? And thats should be easily added to the PCB (the size will be little bigger but cost will be the same). Not sure how many outputs people needs but I heard that someone is using a lot of them for different automatic stuff. For my use in single vessel system (BIAB-asket) I need only 1 temp sensor plus heater and actually now I am controlling pump manually by external PWR controller.

I use 5 for my data tracking, 1. in my HLT, 2 in my MLT (Center Grist Temp, RIMS outlet), BK, Plate Chiller out. I would love to be able to actuate two pumps, three elements, and a Rake motor.

so you want 5 temp sensor and 6 outputs in total? I can check after my holiday if I can fit it somehow but indeed in this situation parasite mode for DS20B18 is desirable.

so you want 5 temp sensor and 6 outputs in total? I can check after my holiday if I can fit it somehow but indeed in this situation parasite mode for DS20B18 is desirable.
I know with the BrewPi software you can't run the DS20B18 in parasite mode.I think they can run at least 5 temp. sensors

Forgive me as I know this was mentioned in the past, but what is a buck module? I assume a voltage regulator.

sorry for late reply but I just came back from holidays, yes buck module is a step down voltage converter

Hi yes if you are still interested just write me an email or PM. I will solder one board for myself this week as well :)

I am slowly getting to finish more advanced version, 5 temp sensors, 6 outputs, I2C port. Comments and requests are welcome so I can improve it :)

v4.1.jpg

Latest posts

Back