Carbing Cider In A Keg Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcav

Still Believing In God, Family &This Great Country
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just made my first batch of cider. I bought a small one gallon "Crooked Apple" cider kit from Northern Brewer to try it out and see how it turns out. I have a 2 1/2 gallon keg that I used to use for homemade root beer. I changed out the O-rings on the keg, to get rid of the soda taste before I put the cider in it. The cider already tasted good after secondary fermentation was complete. It went into my fridge two days ago and I have the C02 set for 10 psi right now. Is this about right or is it to much or not enough? What should I set the gauge to? I want it lightly carbed but I don't want it to have a carbonation bite, and I want to taste the flavor of the cider with the proper carbonation for this style of beverage.

John

I'd say between 8-10 psi would work fine depending on the length of tubing. Start at 8 and dial it up if you prefer more carb. I have 3 different homemade cider recipes fermenting right now. Picked the apples, pressed them in a 1940's press, added some spice and I am sure they will come out nice...:mug:

In the past I've carb'd mine in the 2.3 - 2.5 volumes range and they were great.

I'd say between 8-10 psi would work fine depending on the length of tubing. Start at 8 and dial it up if you prefer more carb. I have 3 different homemade cider recipes fermenting right now. Picked the apples, pressed them in a 1940's press, added some spice and I am sure they will come out nice...:mug:

Thanks Brittney, I am using 5 feet of 3/16 tubing so I guess at 10 psi or less (for beer at least) it would be foam free when dispensing it from the keg, so I will try that and go from there.

John

Here's a link to a great carb chart for ya!

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

That is a great carb chart that I have used before for beer. I just didn't know what level to carb to for cider, but I guess it's pretty much the same for beer and then it's a matter of personal taste or choice. At 34 degrees I will probably knock it down to 8 psi and try it at this level first. Thanks for posting!

John

That is a great carb chart that I have used before for beer. I just didn't know what level to carb to for cider, but I guess it's pretty much the same for beer and then it's a matter of personal taste or choice. At 34 degrees I will probably knock it down to 8 psi and try it at this level first. Thanks for posting!

John

Yes, try that first. Some people like it much more highly carbed and "spritzy", particularly my daughter who likes it off-dry/semi-sec and champagne like.

I like it dry and either still or just lightly carbed. If you try it and it needs more, you can always turn it up. It's harder to turn it down, as I'm sure you know so starting low and working up if needed is a great strategy.

Yes, try that first. Some people like it much more highly carbed and "spritzy", particularly my daughter who likes it off-dry/semi-sec and champagne like.

I like it dry and either still or just lightly carbed. If you try it and it needs more, you can always turn it up. It's harder to turn it down, as I'm sure you know so starting low and working up if needed is a great strategy.

Excellent, thanks Yooper!

John

Back