Broken mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what the return manifold looks like to port the wort above the grain. It makes a nice place to set your mashcap so its ready to float as you underlet. It's all pretty simple but works very well.
View attachment 632657
What's that look like without the grain?

So the return flows around the thermometer and discharges slightly above the top bulk head fitting?

I studied the picture for a bit.

I think I get the plumbing on the pump. Just not the return.

@Bilsch

I think I got it.

Inside you have ...

1) SS street elbow (male on one end, female on the other). Bends the return up.

2) SS nipple or pipe (a straight section). To go up the grain column as needed).

3) SS street elbow (male on one end, female on the other) A connection point for the manifold.

I have a manifold tree in my igloo and it has a gentle return since I have seven T's having 8 actual discharge points. It's got very gentle flow as a result. Almost a trickle per opening with max flow on the pump.

There's no grain bed channeling with that kind of setup.

IMG_20190722_212900.jpeg

What's that look like without the grain?
So the return flows around the thermometer and discharges slightly above the top bulk head fitting?
I studied the picture for a bit.
I think I get the plumbing on the pump. Just not the return.

Sure, here are pics on the inside with and without false bottom in place. Sounds like you figured it out already though.

IMG_4272.JPG
IMG_4278.JPG

It's very easy, just screw it in hand tight after the false bottom is in place. You really don't care about little leaks since it's inside the mashtun where the wort is going anyway. I do put teflon tape on the threads, not for sealing but to provide some friction that I can stop at the correct rotation and it will stay even loosely threaded.

I don't know the answer but wrapping in Teflon oxygen barrier tape is easy to do and good insurance. This is what I use.
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-14534/Specialty-Tapes/Uline-PTFE-Film-Tape-3-4-x-36-yds
At $36 a roll (plus shipping) that stuff isn't cheap!
Does it hold up well on silicone hoses, given the constant bending, washing, etc.?

Thinking about using some of this:
https://www.amazon.com/BROADPACK-Teflon-Vacuum-Impulse-Sealers/dp/B07PWJMFTQ/
It's a bit less expensive. 1.5" x 30' for $12.90.
I think one roll might cover everything I need.

I don't think that stuff will work since it's a composite with cloth so it's not very flexible or stretchable. When you are wrapping a hose you need the softer material to conform over the larger diameter ends ends where the fitting stretched the hose and also the over laps.

I don't think that stuff will work since it's a composite with cloth so it's not very flexible or stretchable. When you are wrapping a hose you need the softer material to conform over the larger diameter ends ends where the fitting stretched the hose and also the over laps.
Bummer. Not sure why this stupid tape is so expensive. I guess I'll need to decide whether it's worthwhile.

This one is better?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000REJN48/

Looks like the same stuff to me, just 1/4" wider. Don't see why that would not work equally as well.

I was always planning on testing by filling with DO water and sampling after a period of time with the O2 meter but haven't gotten around to it.
Some day.

What do you need? I’ll do my best to help. FYI though I don’t check here that often so you’ll get faster response if you ask me on the LOB forum.
Nothing... just found this thread again. Was bumping it to the top.

I'm going to place my order tomorrow for my Spike MT.

If I didn't say it before, thanks for posting your pictures of the plumbing.

Nothing... just found this thread again. Was bumping it to the top.
I'm going to place my order tomorrow for my Spike MT.
If I didn't say it before, thanks for posting your pictures of the plumbing.

Glad to help.

Back