Bottling, not tossing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaptainKarl

Reaction score
After abandoning a simple cider for four months in a primary bucket, I think I'm going to bottle. Anyone want to talk me out of it?

The recipe is just cheap grocery store juice and Safale 04. I made it once before and back sweetened with cranberry cocktail, then stovetop pasteurized. Resulted in a sweet fizzy booze that went over very well.

I pitched back in July. On the same day I brewed a Porter. Then, in quick succession we got a chaotic new boss, my gall bladder came out, and my Mom died. So I wasn't able to look at these buckets for a while. They've been in a darkish room, sitting at about 67 degrees, air locks functioning.

The porter developed quite a cap of mold, but I was able to draw the beer off from beneath (spigot, not siphon). After three weeks in the bottle, it seems just fine.

I assumed the cider would be a loss - not much time or money invested. I finally got around to tossing it today, but figured I'd taste a drop first. Nothing gross appeared in the cup. Peering through the airlock, I see nothing but cider. Tasted about right.

So partly I have the newbie-ish question about whether or not to bottle. Partly I just want an audience in case it goes wrong.

Any thought?

As long as there's no funky floating things in it... why not. 4 months in primary is a long time, but if it hasn't found new friends (bacteria) and spoiled, I figure it's worth a shot.

There are certainly potential taste issues having been in primary that long, so evaluate what you've got carefully before committing.

And, sorry about your mom.

By my reckoning, if it tastes fine, go right ahead and bottle it!
After all, on a basic level, our sense of taste is an instrument to measure if something is safe to eat or drink. It will do you no harm.

Sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
Thanks for the sympathy guys. I'd say this was a brew in her memory, but she never cared much for the stuff.

Back